gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Update in post #5- This is why COVID19 is spreading so quickly!

Thank goodness the school is doing the right thing! See my update in post #5....

DS2 chipped his tooth yesterday so we made an appointment today to see the dentist. But before ds2 went to bed last night i noticed he sounded hoarse. So this morning he stayed home from school and we tested him with a rapid test. It was positive. There are 3-4 doctors who are parents at our school and serve on our health advisory committee. One of them gives monthly “health” updates in our school newsletter. She advised that “ “students may return to school once they have been improving in their symptoms for at least 24 hours. Other symptoms that necessitate your child staying home include fever, body aches, unusual fatigue, vomiting and diarrhea.”. When I emailed our principal to find out how soon DS2 could come back to school, he confirmed that based on her guidelines, DS2 could come back tomorrow!! Part of me wants to send him because the school is being so ridiculous. But that doesn’t sit well with me. I registered him to get a drive-though test through our hospital system tomorrow because if he has a false positive, then we will reschedule his dental appointment. I am flabbergasted that a doctor would completely ignore the CDC Guidelines and advise others to do it. I just don’t understand their thinking.

Last edited by gatorsmom; 01-12-2022 at 10:37 AM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    DS2 chipped his tooth yesterday so we made an appointment today to see the dentist. But before ds2 went to bed last night i noticed he sounded hoarse. So this morning he stayed home from school and we tested him with a rapid test. It was positive. There are 3-4 doctors who are parents at our school and serve on our health advisory committee. One of them gives monthly “health” updates in our school newsletter. She advised that “ “students may return to school once they have been improving in their symptoms for at least 24 hours. Other symptoms that necessitate your child staying home include fever, body aches, unusual fatigue, vomiting and diarrhea.”. When I emailed our principal to find out how soon DS2 could come back to school, he confirmed that based on her guidelines, DS2 could come back tomorrow!! Part of me wants to send him because the school is being so ridiculous. But that doesn’t sit well with me. I registered him to get a drive-though test through our hospital system tomorrow because if he has a false positive, then we will reschedule his dental appointment. I am flabbergasted that a doctor would completely ignore the CDC Guidelines and advise others to do it. I just don’t understand their thinking.

Wait -- your DS tested positive TODAY, and the school said he can come back tomorrow? Am I really understanding that correctly?
    Lizi

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

That’s crazy!!! Will he be penalized for staying home? Why would sending him be good, besides the “well, I’ve paid for you to be there” argument my kids use for stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Whuck! That is insane! I have no other words. I am all for keeping kids in school (as long as it is safe), but completely negating the CDC’s recommendations is crazy. I can’t wait till my kids can go back (due to Covid quarantine), but I wouldn’t send them back so soon if they had a positive test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Update- The school is doing the right thing. I am friends with the mom who is also the doctor who wrote that newsletter blurb. I texted her yesterday when DS2 could come back to school and told her what the principal said. She was concerned. She gave me the CDC guidelines and said the school must have misunderstood her quote for the newsletter. I told her that DS2 said other kids in his class and 2 of the high school teachers had the same scratchy throat symptoms. She asked if I could get him tested at the hospital to make it official and so she could go back to the school with this knowledge. I let her know that the soonest appointment I could get DS2 was the next day. She must have run with the knowledge because by the end of the day yesterday, the school canceled high school classes and all activities for the rest of the week. The crazy thing is, we are the only family that tested. If it hadn't been for DS chipping his tooth, everyone would be sitting in school with covid19. And no one has said anything outright but I'm certain more than 50% of the high school kids are not vaccinated. DS2's girlfriend is likely not vaccinated and he spent a ton of time with her this past weekend. He said she is definitely more sick than he is. I texted her mom to let her know that DS2 is sick and so any symptoms her daughter has are likely COVID19. Hopefully she's isolating her daughter but it's hard to know.

Off to find testing for my middle schoolers and DH....

" I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Update- The school is doing the right thing. I am friends with the mom who is also the doctor who wrote that newsletter blurb. I texted her yesterday when DS2 could come back to school and told her what the principal said. She was concerned. She gave me the CDC guidelines and said the school must have misunderstood her quote for the newsletter. I told her that DS2 said other kids in his class and 2 of the high school teachers had the same scratchy throat symptoms. She asked if I could get him tested at the hospital to make it official and so she could go back to the school with this knowledge. I let her know that the soonest appointment I could get DS2 was the next day. She must have run with the knowledge because by the end of the day yesterday, the school canceled high school classes and all activities for the rest of the week. The crazy thing is, we are the only family that tested. If it hadn't been for DS chipping his tooth, everyone would be sitting in school with covid19. And no one has said anything outright but I'm certain more than 50% of the high school kids are not vaccinated. DS2's girlfriend is likely not vaccinated and he spent a ton of time with her this past weekend. He said she is definitely more sick than he is. I texted her mom to let her know that DS2 is sick and so any symptoms her daughter has are likely COVID19. Hopefully she's isolating her daughter but it's hard to know.

Off to find testing for my middle schoolers and DH....
    Hoping your DS gets well quickly and sending stay healthy prayers to the rest of you. Glad you helped clear up the policy for your school. You likely saved some families from COVID.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl