Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I personally would not because our family has no risk factors and we're vaxxed. While I don't want them to get sick, getting Covid seems almost inevitable at this point and at least they'd get it over with for now, given how mild it has been for young, healthy, vaccinated people... Plus, their schools still require masking and distancing in classrooms and keep up with Covid numbers extremely well (private schools, fewer kids, easier to keep track).

My youngest is virtual this week because so many teachers were out, not necessarily with covid. None of his teachers who were in school last week have tested positive anyway. No exposures. But they are home and it's fine temporarily...

If there were risk factors at home or their schools were less conscientious, maybe I'd have a different view.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Not us. I think my vaccinated kids and our vaccinated/boosted adult contacts would do ok with COVID infection. I'm not saying to throw all precaution to the wind, but school isn't something I'm willing to give up for the risk of COVID infection. I'm willing to mask in the store and avoid crowds, but not school and not family.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

We are keeping my middle schooler home this week as a precaution, but my high schooler is back. Normally my middle schooler gets tested at school, but this week the school distributed rapid home kits and "strongly encouraged" everyone to test at home. I don't trust parents on an honor system, and DS2 wears a cloth musician's mask in band class, which IMO is not protective enough with Omicron. I don't worry about my high schooler nearly as much since masks are mandatory, and he doesn't have any classes that require him to remove his KF94, unlike my middle schooler.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Anyone keeping their kids home because of Covid at school?

My kids went back to school on time last Monday (Catholic K-8 and Catholic high school—both diocese supported) but DD2 has been out since last Thursday due to DH testing positive on Wednesday 1/5, and DD1 has been out since this Monday (she was on a school retreat Tuesday-Friday w/no cell service….although I did notify the school on Thursday morning of the exposure but she had no symptoms and stayed on the retreat one more night). Thankfully both of my girls are negative and dh is feeling much better now (just waiting to test him when tests arrive…..or push it back another few days just to make sure….two weeks since first symptoms will be this Sunday), but I wouldn’t keep my kids home if they hadn’t been exposed. There were parents though who kept their kids home at the elementary school last week (per the principal’s message at the PTG meeting last night). At home school is not my forte so my kids will be going back as soon as I am notified it is okay.

I don’t know how vaccinated our elementary school is but I do know of a few sets of parents who aren’t vaccinated at all so therefore their kids aren’t vaccinated and then in November I knew of some parents who were vaccinated but weren’t planning to vaccinate their kids because if the whole don’t want to risk things due to unknown vaccine side effects. At the high school Dd1 says no one talks about their vaccination status so she doesn’t know who is vaccinated and who isn’t. I know that three or four of her close friends from her dance and or tennis team are vaccinated, but that is it. Dd1 is also getting her booster today.

Thankfully both schools still require masks indoors and the elementary school has in room purifiers one each classroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 01-12-2022 at 08:46 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

The short answer is no. DS is in sixth grade and school is a challenge for him. He's not the type that can miss several days in a row and simple just catch up. And as Carolinamama said, there is no "remote school" option any longer. He could work through assignments through Canvas, but without teacher guidance/instruction, that would be tough for him.

As I mentioned in another thread recently, I'm not even tracking our district's numbers although there is a dashboard (probably not up to date). He needs to be in school unless he can't be in school. I am trying to get him to wear surgical masks instead of cloth. And there is a mask mandate. The district has offered drive-through testing last week and this week at a few locations, but apparently people who tested last week are STILL waiting for their results.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I keep hearing folks even here talk about “mild”. No one is concerned about Long Covid? Finland is looking at it as a chronic disease.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I posted our adventure in the bitching post. So many kids in our high school have the same symptoms (scratchy throat, runny nose), and my DS2 tested positive so they canceled high school this week. No homework either. My high schoolers are elated because right now it’s no worse than a mild head cold.

Im not more worried about long term symptoms that we don’t have right now (long Covid), than I am unknown drawbacks from a new vaccine.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by robinsmommy View Post
    I keep hearing folks even here talk about “mild”. No one is concerned about Long Covid? Finland is looking at it as a chronic disease.
    Agreed! Including possible long term effects that may not even have been identified, let alone the ones already confirmed. And really, "mild" is subjective and unfortunately downplayed. My anti vax friends are still out 3-4 days with it, plus lingering fatigue, etc.. yet they call it "mild." Mild to me means no need to do anything extra.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm worried about this. But I also don't think we can do more than we are right now to reasonably try to avoid it. We wear masks, we try to do as much as we can outside. We stay home when we have symptoms (and hope that others will do the same) but scientists are saying that COVID is not going away so I feel like we have to learn to live with the small level of risk. I'm just beyond grateful that we've managed to avoid it until we were all vaccinated (I feel so, so fortunate in that regard) and that they're setting up ever better treatment protocols. I hope we get more research on Long COVID as that will also be very reassuring!

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

More research needs to be done, but according to TWIV the studies that have been done so far are showing a decreased risk of long covid if you are vaccinated, which makes sense to me. The more severe your disease, the higher the chance of long covid, and if vaccination (even without the booster) protects against severe disease then it would theoretically protect against long covid.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast