Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

No. My kids are all vaxed and boosted and their schools require mask wearing, have installed filtration systems and have added back some distancing measures for eating since winter break. I think being in school is very important and we have done what we can to keep them safe.

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I'm worried about this. But I also don't think we can do more than we are right now to reasonably try to avoid it. We wear masks, we try to do as much as we can outside. We stay home when we have symptoms (and hope that others will do the same) but scientists are saying that COVID is not going away so I feel like we have to learn to live with the small level of risk. I'm just beyond grateful that we've managed to avoid it until we were all vaccinated (I feel so, so fortunate in that regard) and that they're setting up ever better treatment protocols. I hope we get more research on Long COVID as that will also be very reassuring!
    This is where I am as well. Long Covid is certainly on my mind. Our family is trying to live with the virus while reasonably decreasing our chances of contracting and/or spreading it. It is a stressful time to be living for sure but I feel fortunate to have the vaccines and ongoing research.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Anyone keeping their kids home because of Covid at school?

……..But I also don't think we can do more than we are right now to reasonably try to avoid it. We wear masks, we try to do as much as we can outside. We stay home when we have symptoms (and hope that others will do the same) but scientists are saying that COVID is not going away so I feel like we have to learn to live with the small level of risk. I'm just beyond grateful that we've managed to avoid it until we were all vaccinated (I feel so, so fortunate in that regard) and that they're setting up ever better treatment protocols. I hope we get more research on Long COVID as that will also be very reassuring!
    I agree with this. My reasoning for my husband’s case being mild is the following because his symptoms are:
    *fever of 99 on the day 1 of having symptoms; no fever since.

*congestion like a bad head cold

*very occasional bouts of coughing

*aches and pains

He has had none of the following issues:
    *nausea

*diarrhea

*breathing issues

*constant coughing

*fever above 99 for any period of time

His symptoms are very flu like and he had them for about a week. He hasn’t taken any Advil cold and sinus since Saturday 1/8 (after testing positive on 1/5). All we know is he had a positive Covid test….no idea if it is Delta or Omicron at this point (but guessing Omicron, but still not 100% sure because even 3 weeks ago some counties were still only reporting 2-3 cases of Omicron). He had a J&J vaccine and hadn’t been boostered yet as he had his flu shot in mid December and was advised by his doctor not to overlap vaccines. He was going to get his booster last week.

Again this is so far our experience, but not enough is known at this point to be overly worried about issues from either catching Covid or side effects from the vaccine. It will be years before we actually have any concrete evidence.

ETA: my husband has also not missed more than an hour of work since he started having symptoms. He is able to work from home though. That is another reason I believe his Covid has been mild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 01-12-2022 at 08:43 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by robinsmommy View Post
    I keep hearing folks even here talk about “mild”. No one is concerned about Long Covid? Finland is looking at it as a chronic disease.
    I hear so many people talk about how mild Covid is and all I can think of is how much we don’t know yet.

We are not keeping our kids home. They are in a private school that is doing a fabulous job with precautions- mandatory weekly testing for everyone on campus, masks required, physical distancing, upgraded filtration systems. My DC only do activities through school so we’re hoping the bubble keeps them as safe as possible.
    Last edited by jgenie; 01-12-2022 at 02:10 PM.

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'm worried about this. But I also don't think we can do more than we are right now to reasonably try to avoid it. We wear masks, we try to do as much as we can outside. We stay home when we have symptoms (and hope that others will do the same) but scientists are saying that COVID is not going away so I feel like we have to learn to live with the small level of risk. I'm just beyond grateful that we've managed to avoid it until we were all vaccinated (I feel so, so fortunate in that regard) and that they're setting up ever better treatment protocols. I hope we get more research on Long COVID as that will also be very reassuring!
    We're sending ours to school. Bisous did a really good job explaining the way I feel, too.
    Lizi

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We did not keep DD home last week, but the entire district is remote this week due to staffing issues.

Overall, community spread metrics are shared openly and mitigation measures seem to be performing as expected. Masks are required in all classes, except while eating at lunch.

The one thing we're still sourcing/gearing up to do is getting DD KF94 masks, since the advice to upgrade is out in the open due to increased transmissibility of Omicron, and her fabric masks are aging out of usefulness (plus, she's bitten through a good chunk of them.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

No. To what benefit? A family that is vaccinated and boosted cannot shelter in place in the chance (high?) they contact Covid. The intended purpose is to minimize the disease. My kids education is far too important and they would freak out if I kept them at home because of this. We have no risk factors and my husband and I both have worked outside of the house this whole time.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Liziz View Post
    We're sending ours to school. Bisous did a really good job explaining the way I feel, too.
    Same. Especially since we're in Los Angeles with multiple covid mitigation strategies in place at school. Our entire household is fully vaccinated and boostered now.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

School is basically non-negotiable to me. DS has to be in school (is a nightmare otherwise) and DD truly is fearful of catching covid and having to miss five days of school. She’s only in middle school but the workload has seriously ramped up and she is a very dedicated student. DD got her booster as soon as she was eligible so is now a bit more protected. DS has received the two vaccine series around Thanksgiving. Masks are mandatory at school but I’m not naive to believe that means they’re always used correctly. Both my kids are good with their masks but DS often only wears cloth. We do our best and don’t get much exposure elsewhere. DD was a direct contact at least twice during the first week back. The schools don’t do surveillance testing. Things could be better but they also could be worse! My decision might be different if we interacted regularly with higher risk people. I kept DS home during a little delta surge at his school because my parents were staying with us. But honestly I don’t think a short term stay home does much unless it’s a really short term problem, which omicron certainly is not.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I also agree with Bisous. We are beyond being able to shelter in place. We need to take whatever precautions we can and continue to live. Our district did a great job but is doing a terrible job now but my kids wear their masks (not mandatory) and are fully vaxxed (DD is boostered). I am definitely a little nervous but we are carrying on.
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast