Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default When to test with rapid test?

I saw my sister Friday 1/7. Saturday 1/8 I have negative PCR test for work. Monday 1/10 my sister started having symptoms, she does not know of a positive exposure. Tuesday 1/11 I have negative PCR test with work. My sister called today to say she’s still waiting on PCR test results, but has no taste so that’s Covid. I will have another PCR Tuesday 1/18. I’m supposed to work at the hospital this Saturday 1/15. When do I take rapid test to check? Is it too soon to take it today, should I wait until tomorrow morning before work? I have no symptoms. I work in an elementary and wear a KN95 mask.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 01-13-2022 at 11:28 PM.

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You need to check with the hospital for their guidelines. Here, if you are fully vaccinated (meaning boosted too, if eligible) and you have an exposure, you mask for 10 days. We add in a test at 5 days and 10 days. There is a shortage of rapid tests and in our community you would not be advised to test with a rapid if fully vaccinated with no symptoms unless you were working with a very vulnerable population.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Rapids aren’t picking this strain up very well. I have a known exposure and have been really sick since Sunday. Still no positive rapid. I finally had the strength to go get a PCR test today, so we will see. Meanwhile 5 teachers are out at my school with no subs, so it’s a disaster (I’d prefer using a different word but not sure it’s allowed on here. lol)

Hope you stay safe and healthy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
    You need to check with the hospital for their guidelines. Here, if you are fully vaccinated (meaning boosted too, if eligible) and you have an exposure, you mask for 10 days. We add in a test at 5 days and 10 days. There is a shortage of rapid tests and in our community you would not be advised to test with a rapid if fully vaccinated with no symptoms unless you were working with a very vulnerable population.
    Thanks. I’ll check with my boss at the hospital. We’ve been wearing surgical mask and face shield forever for staff who have direct patient contact. I wear KN95 mask all the time at school too.
    I do have a rapid test so I could test. I’m fully vaccinated and boosted too

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If you do test with the rapid, it should be as close as possible to when you go in. It's a snapshot in time of whether you are notably shedding the virus - not terribly diagnostic for this variant. We trust positives, but not negatives.

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    Rapids aren’t picking this strain up very well. I have a known exposure and have been really sick since Sunday. Still no positive rapid. I finally had the strength to go get a PCR test today, so we will see. Meanwhile 5 teachers are out at my school with no subs, so it’s a disaster (I’d prefer using a different word but not sure it’s allowed on here. lol)

I heard that about rapid tests. I’m sorry you’re sick and hope you start to get better soon. We have a lot of staff out too. So many students are absent. It’s a $**t show!!

My issue is my sister doesn’t know when she was exposed. It could’ve been after she saw me or before, so I don’t know if she’s a positive exposure or not for me

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post

I'm sorry you're sick! Will you let us know what your PCR is? I know a good number of people who have covid symptoms and exposures and they are fairly confident they have covid, but then the PCR is negative! I guess there is just a lot going around right now.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    I'm sorry you're sick! Will you let us know what your PCR is? I know a good number of people who have covid symptoms and exposures and they are fairly confident they have covid, but then the PCR is negative! I guess there is just a lot going around right now.
    I have a friend whose son had influenza A last month, and it was very potent. Fever of 105, kids was absolutely miserable. He ended up getting Omicron a few weeks later and didn’t have any symptoms (brother was positive so they tested him too.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

So, if I have this right:

You had contact with her 3 days before her symptoms started (so not really considered an exposure)
    Negative PCRs on Day 1 and Day 4 after seeing her
    Fully vaccinated with booster
    Asymptomatic

I would not bother with a rapid test based on that exposure.

If you want to do one because of all the other exposure at school... then do the rapid test Saturday morning.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    It came back as invalid!!! So now I need to go back again!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast