Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Long underwear for tall skinny teen

I can’t believe Ds agreed to this! He will need some thermal underwear for his college in the northeast. Being a CA kid, it’ll be a shock

Do you have suggestions for a tall, lanky teen? I don’t mind investing in something that will withstand college laundry machines for years.

i was looking at these but the tall ones don’t come in small, which is annoying.
    https://www.landsend.com/products/me...63,43328,44967
    Does anyone have any suggestions?
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

We purchased ours at Costco. It’s super thin but helps if I’m taking a long walk outside.

Is he hiking? Outdoor sports? Or just walking to/from class? If it’s the latter, thermal underwear isn’t necessary. I’m from Southern California, and I went to grad school in upstate NY, which is way colder and snowier than your location, and no one wore long underwear for basic to/from school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Is he really outdoorsy? Do you anticipate him participating in lots of winter type outdoor activities? I wouldn’t go too crazy buying winter gear. I know the feeling well, but I think you’d be surprised how few people in cold climates frequently (or ever?) wear long underwear. I also grew up in CA and my first real glimpse of winter was when I decided it would be a great idea to go to college in the Midwest (charmed by an outdoor skating rink). Unless you are spending a lot of time outside a good coat and good gloves, plus warm shoes with decent traction are kind of the necessities. Buildings tend to be over heated and long underwear would be miserable once inside. If you’re running from class to class you just wear normal clothes + a coat and gloves (unless you’re a teenage boy in which case maybe you wear shorts).

I’ve lived in cold climates, somewhat against my will, for many years now. I often don’t wear a coat if I’m just going to be running from the house to the car to the store. DH finally convinced me that I need to _have_ a coat, because things can go wrong, but even if it’s 10 degrees out you can easily make a quick outdoor run with no bundling.

ETA: My funniest college memory is freshman year my roommate (also from the Bay Area) and I independently traveled across campus in short sleeves at -17 F. Being from CA I had no context to understand that clear and sunny means extremely cold out. By the time I realized my mistake I was like “let’s keep trucking.” And I survived without issue, although it was super stupid.
    Last edited by Snow mom; 01-14-2022 at 10:14 PM.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Unless doing outdoor excursions, it’s overkill. You want layers you can take off in public. Under layers don’t work for that. Hoodies, coats, gloves, hats, good boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

He doesn't need long underwear for daily existence. Seriously. He will adapt. Layers on top that he can take off will be fine. He will adjust. the beauty of cold is that you can always put on more clothes!!!! Much easier than too hot. And teen/young adult boys--we are talking about kids who wear hoodies when its sub zero outside. Peer pressure beats actual weather forecasts anyway :-)
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Snow mom View Post
    Is he really outdoorsy? Do you anticipate him participating in lots of winter type outdoor activities? I wouldn’t go too crazy buying winter gear. I know the feeling well, but I think you’d be surprised how few people in cold climates frequently (or ever?) wear long underwear. ...
    I think the only time I'll wear long underwear is if I'm working at a cookie booth with DD's GS troop, headed to NYC in the cold ... or sitting in the stands while DD is ice skating. Even indoor rinks can get cold!

ETA: My funniest college memory is freshman year my roommate (also from the Bay Area) and I independently traveled across campus in short sleeves at -17 F. Being from CA I had no context to understand that clear and sunny means extremely cold out. By the time I realized my mistake I was like “let’s keep trucking.” And I survived without issue, although it was super stupid.
    One of my college bosses was also from CA where "sunny = warm" and she wore a really cute sleeveless shift dress ... in NJ. In March. She was FROZEN the whole day, poor thing.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

double post - sorry!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would purchase a pair from Target or Costco. An thin extra layer will help him be more comfortable IMO.
    https://www.target.com/p/men-39-s-lo...s/-/A-82266692
    https://www.target.com/p/men-39-s-th...s/-/A-82266748
    K

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Double post
    K

bnme is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think fleece or flannel lined jeans from Lands End or Eddie Bauer, or cords or fleece sweats to keep warmer on extra cold days are more common. We are in NY (LI) and my DS is at college in Albany (even colder ) and I just asked if he was bringing his long johns back up for spring semester and he laughed. They will wear them for skiing or shoveling snow, that’s about it. It was in the single digits last night and they went out in hoodies with fleece lined flannels shoved over them. And a hat.

If you get them, I would grab whatever you find. I have been buying whatever is available at BJs and Kohl’s in recent years and they have been fine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast