mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default First Covid test & first positive

I can’t believe I have made it almost 2 years and have not had a Covid test until now. I woke up with a sore throat this AM. Home test this AM was negative. A few hours later I also started feeling a little achy so paid for a rapid PCR which came back positive. I am quarantining away from everyone on a different floor and hoping DS doesn’t get it as he has some important events coming up but I was in car with him yesterday so it’s likely he will still get it. I had to fly to FL for work earlier in the week… was always masked except when in a large warehouse where I wasn’t around anyone. But could have also gotten it at a restaurant. I am masked everywhere but we do eat inside now which we didn’t do for so long. I decided paying for the PCR was worth it otherwise I would not have e been able to test until Tuesday and then wait several days for results so the quarantine would have begun after I will hopefully be better.

Hope your recovery is quick. My dad got Covid from a business trip to Florida as well.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    I can’t believe I have made it almost 2 years and have not had a Covid test until now. I woke up with a sore throat this AM. Home test this AM was negative. A few hours later I also started feeling a little achy so paid for a rapid PCR which came back positive. I am quarantining away from everyone on a different floor and hoping DS doesn’t get it as he has some important events coming up but I was in car with him yesterday so it’s likely he will still get it. I had to fly to FL for work earlier in the week… was always masked except when in a large warehouse where I wasn’t around anyone. But could have also gotten it at a restaurant. I am masked everywhere but we do eat inside now which we didn’t do for so long. I decided paying for the PCR was worth it otherwise I would not have e been able to test until Tuesday and then wait several days for results so the quarantine would have begun after I will hopefully be better.
    Hope you are on the mend very quickly and the rest of your family remains healthy! What kind of place did you simply go to to get a rapid PCR? I would happily do that too in many cases but I wouldn’t know where I could simply pay for one same day. I have had my kids get them in November at our urgent care but even then they told me I was lucky they had them in stock. Nowadays I can’t get into the urgent care quickly and I’m assuming the rapids are really hard to come by, but I’d love to know if I’m missing something. Maybe my area is in the midst of peak and worse off then yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    Hope you are on the mend very quickly and the rest of your family remains healthy! What kind of place did you simply go to to get a rapid PCR? I would happily do that too in many cases but I wouldn’t know where I could simply pay for one same day. I have had my kids get them in November at our urgent care but even then they told me I was lucky they had them in stock. Nowadays I can’t get into the urgent care quickly and I’m assuming the rapids are really hard to come by, but I’d love to know if I’m missing something. Maybe my area is in the midst of peak and worse off then yours.

There are several private labs around here that will do a same day PCR. They run around $169-299. Next day is $119-150. Rapid antigen is $79-129.

State labs are running 72 hrs turn around (we are still waiting on a result from Thursday afternoon), so if you are willing to pay, you can get results faster.

COVID clinic.org and anylabtestnow.com are two private labs available in a lot of locations.

We have several private labs that will do same day PCR tests. There are also some smaller pharmacies here that offer them. Our state Dept of Health has a website where you put in zip code and it lists all the testing sites including free mass testing sites, CVS/Walgreens and pay sites. I paid $185 for same day results. I used my healthcare savings account to pay and I will also submit to insurance and get some back. It is also fairly easy to get an appointment since not many want to pay.

I am editing the above because I just got clarification that isolation starts either the day of positive test if you are asymptomatic OR the first day of symptoms if you have symptoms. So my isolation actually is the same regardless of date of positive test or results. Getting a quick PCR result becomes more important if you are asymptomatic.
    Last edited by mmsmom; 01-16-2022 at 11:25 AM.

We have several private labs that will do same day PCR tests. There are also some smaller pharmacies here that offer them. Our state Dept of Health has a website where you put in zip code and it lists all the testing sites including free mass testing sites, CVS/Walgreens and pay sites. I paid $185 for same day results. I used my healthcare savings account to pay and I will also submit to insurance and get some back. It is also fairly easy to get an appointment since not many want to pay.

I am editing the above because I just got clarification that isolation starts either the day of positive test if you are asymptomatic OR the first day of symptoms if you have symptoms. So my isolation actually is the same regardless of date of positive test. Getting a quick PCR result becomes more important if you are asymptomatic.
    THANKS! I think I’ve just been assuming the whole system is overwhelmed. I know you can’t get urgent care clinic appointments for a week out around here. I will have to look into this market around me because I would certainly consider paying to get in and out quickly with quick results.

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I am editing the above because I just got clarification that isolation starts either the day of positive test if you are asymptomatic OR the first day of symptoms if you have symptoms. So my isolation actually is the same regardless of date of positive test. Getting a quick PCR result becomes more important if you are asymptomatic.
    Wouldn't the day of positive test be the actual date you tested though, not the date you got the results? That is how it has been working around here. Still is better to get the results faster, but don't think it changes the isolation timing. Now if you have to wait days to actually *get* a test vs wait for results (which I know is happening in lots of places!), that could mess up the start day of isolation if asymptomatic.

Quote Originally Posted by acmom View Post
    Wouldn't the day of positive test be the actual date you tested though, not the date you got the results? That is how it has been working around here. Still is better to get the results faster, but don't think it changes the isolation timing. Now if you have to wait days to actually *get* a test vs wait for results (which I know is happening in lots of places!), that could mess up the start day of isolation if asymptomatic.
    Yes, you are right. It’s the day of the test, not day of results (i will edit). But here it takes days to get an appt. for a test or a 4 hour wait at a mass test site. I can get a test from my Dr but they only do them on Thursdays.

I was more referring to if your asymptomatic it can be helpful to know for sure so you know if you need to be isolating or not.
    Last edited by mmsmom; 01-16-2022 at 11:29 AM.

THANKS! I think I’ve just been assuming the whole system is overwhelmed. I know you can’t get urgent care clinic appointments for a week out around here. I will have to look into this market around me because I would certainly consider paying to get in and out quickly with quick results.

I went to website at 5:00, got an appointment for 5:30. They come out to car and I was there less than 5 minutes. Had results at 7:00.

I went to website at 5:00, got an appointment for 5:30. They come out to car and I was there less than 5 minutes. Had results at 7:00.
    Wow! That is appealing!