Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Wow. I want to ask this one of Daniel Griffin! So her second positive was an antigen test? And she has symptoms? Well, I'd guess with the symptoms she should probably stay home. Maybe it is one continuous case of COVID or maybe she had both Delta and Omicron? The key feature is positive on rapid but especially that she has symptoms.
    Yes, 2nd positive was Antigen test taken this AM because she said her throat still hurt.

I was thinking maybe different variants- but friend and friend’s
    Mom that she was exposed to before her 1/1 PCR positive had sore throats and that is common for Omicron. We both have sore throats now so this seems to be Omicron too.

It is really perplexing and my only thought is her viral load was just enough to register on PCR first time but not enough to trigger an immune response (not sure if that is medically possible but seems to be only thing that makes sense). Especially since she was asymptomatic with first positive.

I have submitted the form school requires and also messaged her ped so I will update if they come back with any thoughts on how this happened.
    Last edited by mmsmom; 01-16-2022 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by squimp View Post
    We were told by our local health authority that you can test positive for a long time after you have COVID. They did not ask for a negative test before she returned to school, there was just a quarantine period and then she needed to be symptom free.
    You can definitely test positive on PCRs for a long time. Her first positive was a PCR. But this 2nd positive was on an Antigen home test and she has symptoms so it is definitely a current active infection.

She will not need a negative test for school or anything else-
    Just has to complete her isolation period.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default DD positive again!

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    Yes, 2nd positive was Antigen test taken this AM because she said her throat still hurt.

I was thinking maybe different variants- but friend and friend’s
    Mom that she was exposed to before her 1/1 PCR positive had sore throats and that is common for Omicron. We both have sore throats now so this seems to be Omicron too.

It is really perplexing and my only thought is her viral load was just enough to register on PCR first time but not enough to trigger an immune response (not sure if that is medically possible but seems to be only thing that makes sense). Especially since she was asymptomatic with first positive.

I have submitted the form school requires and also messaged her ped so I will update if they come back with any thoughts on how this happened.
    Two of DD2 s friends who had Covid back in mid-September (so probably delta) had sore throats as their only symptom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

You can absolutely still test positive for up to 90 days on a PCR test, and certainly if she tested on 1/1 and you tested her again she can show positive. Even an antigen test can show up positive. I did a rapid at home about 8 days after my original and was still positive. So her testing within 2 weeks isn't that strange.

PCR tests can show positive for months, antigen are shorter, but still likely as you have seen.

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    You can absolutely still test positive for up to 90 days on a PCR test, and certainly if she tested on 1/1 and you tested her again she can show positive. Even an antigen test can show up positive. I did a rapid at home about 8 days after my original and was still positive. So her testing within 2 weeks isn't that strange.

PCR tests can show positive for months, antigen are shorter, but still likely as you have seen.
    At what point does contagiousness end? 10 days? Even if still testing positive on an at home test?

When Are People with COVID Most Contagious? The CDC says that its guidelines were updated to reflect growing evidence that suggests transmission of COVID-19 often occurs one to two days before the onset of symptoms and during the two to three days afterward.

https://www.When Are People with COVID Most Contagious? The CDC says that its guidelines were updated to reflect growing evidence that suggests transmission of COVID-19 often occurs one to two days before the onset of symptoms and during the two to three days afterward.nbcchicago.com/news/coronavirus/how-long-are-you-contagious-with-omicron-covid-infection-heres-what-health-experts-say/2727655/

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    At what point does contagiousness end? 10 days? Even if still testing positive on an at home test?

Just because you test positive, it doesn't mean you are contagious. It really depends on when symptoms began if you are symptomatic.

Just because you test positive, it doesn't mean you are contagious. It really depends on when symptoms began if you are symptomatic.

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think SA is seeing some reinfection cases of Omicron-folks who are getting it a second time. So that is not totally impossible, either.

So doctor said they discussed in office and believe she currently does not have Covid. Her 1/1 positive PCR was true infection. Her current symptoms are something else. Her positive home test is because you can test positive on an Antigen test for a long time after infection. He also said some home tests can show positive after a vaccine dose.

So basically Dr thoughts are complete opposite of what my Googling told me. I still don’t know and keeping her isolated for now. I could believe Dr if I wasn’t PCR positive with the same symptoms at the same time (Dr did know this). I will see what school has to say. Thankfully at this point we’re on day 3 of our 5 days anyway and both of us are much better today.

Default DD positive again!

Yeah, if she has the same symptoms as you and you have a pos PCR and she has a pos rapid, I’d keep her home for 5 days since start of symptoms.

I’ve never heard that a vaccine/booster dose would cause a positive antigen test
    Last edited by georgiegirl; 01-17-2022 at 02:03 PM.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast