Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    So doctor said they discussed in office and believe she currently does not have Covid. Her 1/1 positive PCR was true infection. Her current symptoms are something else. Her positive home test is because you can test positive on an Antigen test for a long time after infection. He also said some home tests can show positive after a vaccine dose.

So basically Dr thoughts are complete opposite of what my Googling told me. I still don’t know and keeping her isolated for now. I could believe Dr if I wasn’t PCR positive with the same symptoms at the same time (Dr did know this). I will see what school has to say. Thankfully at this point we’re on day 3 of our 5 days anyway and both of us are much better today.
    Yeah, that is so strange. Hard to believe that the first time when she was asymptomatic was an active infection but this time when she has symptoms it's not.

Then again, in 2020, all 4 members of my family had the exact same symptoms within a few days of each other and only 2 of ua tested positive on pcr. It's so confusing!
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

So doctor said they discussed in office and believe she currently does not have Covid. Her 1/1 positive PCR was true infection. Her current symptoms are something else. Her positive home test is because you can test positive on an Antigen test for a long time after infection. He also said some home tests can show positive after a vaccine dose.

So basically Dr thoughts are complete opposite of what my Googling told me. I still don’t know and keeping her isolated for now. I could believe Dr if I wasn’t PCR positive with the same symptoms at the same time (Dr did know this). I will see what school has to say. Thankfully at this point we’re on day 3 of our 5 days anyway and both of us are much better today.
    Clearly this doctor is not up to date.

Antigen tests are most sensitive when there is active infection and the patient is contagious. PCR can be positive for a long time after an infection. Vaccines do not cause positives on the home tests.

Because PCR can be positive for a long time, I would be more inclined to think that the positive PCR (with negative antigen) on 1/1 was due to an "old" asymptomatic infection with Delta that you just happened to catch due to the post-exposure testing, and this is a new infection with Omicron.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post

Antigen tests are most sensitive when there is active infection and the patient is contagious. PCR can be positive for a long time after an infection. Vaccines do not cause positives on the home tests.

Because PCR can be positive for a long time, I would be more inclined to think that the positive PCR (with negative antigen) on 1/1 was due to an "old" asymptomatic infection with Delta that you just happened to catch due to the post-exposure testing, and this is a new infection with Omicron.
    ITA ……
    What he/said makes no sense.
    K

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes, this it what makes the most sense to me!

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

This is the only scenario that makes sense to me too. I also disagree with Dr but her school nurse just said they will go by what Dr said and she can come to school tomorrow as long as she is feeling ok in the morning. She does feel fine today. I’m not sure if I will send her or not. They do have to double mask or wear a KN95 at school.

This is the only scenario that makes sense to me too. I also disagree with Dr but her school nurse just said they will go by what Dr said and she can come to school tomorrow as long as she is feeling ok in the morning. She does feel fine today. I’m not sure if I will send her or not. They do have to double mask or wear a KN95 at school.
    How many more days until she’s five days post symptom onset? What grade is she in and how much will it matter if she misses a day or two? The doctor is pretty clearly wrong with their guess just because the info they gave you is so wrong (there’s no way that vaccination can cause a positive PCR or antigen test, they must be thinking of antibody testing which I haven’t heard anything about in over a year now that most people would have antibodies from either infection or vaccination and it’s not so informative). I’d try to follow the CDC advice at minimum, even if your school doesn’t require it. That would be five days of quarantine after symptoms and return (masked) if symptoms largely resolving.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Snow mom View Post
    How many more days until she’s five days post symptom onset? What grade is she in and how much will it matter if she misses a day or two? The doctor is pretty clearly wrong with their guess just because the info they gave you is so wrong (there’s no way that vaccination can cause a positive PCR or antigen test, they must be thinking of antibody testing which I haven’t heard anything about in over a year now that most people would have antibodies from either infection or vaccination and it’s not so informative). I’d try to follow the CDC advice at minimum, even if your school doesn’t require it. That would be five days of quarantine after symptoms and return (masked) if symptoms largely resolving.
    Yes, I also wouldn't have her go back to school until she is 5 days past symptom onset (with 1st day of symptoms considered day 0). If you have several rapid tests, I'd also test her on day 6 before sending her to school.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Well today was Day 4 and she went to school. I am in isolation and DH is in charge and since school said she could go and she felt fine he thought she could go. I also completely disagree with Dr and I am surprised the school nursing staff took Drs word. DH has been so careful (almost annoyingly so), wouldn’t even let me touch kids laundry this weekend so I am surprised he sent her. Thankfully they are very strict with masking and have a very high vaccination rate.

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Well today was Day 4 and she went to school. I am in isolation and DH is in charge and since school said she could go and she felt fine he thought she could go. I also completely disagree with Dr and I am surprised the school nursing staff took Drs word. DH has been so careful (almost annoyingly so), wouldn’t even let me touch kids laundry this weekend so I am surprised he sent her. Thankfully they are very strict with masking and have a very high vaccination rate.
    It's so strange how people are with this. My mom, who had an exposure and could potentially be positive, was telling me she wiped down all the surface with alcohol, while she is talking to me with her mask below her nose.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3