Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    I think my kids have accepted they are going to get it, if not from us, then eventually at school where no one is masking. But Dh has been out of town and masking everywhere. He hasn’t been home much. And he is slightly vulnerable because of medication he is taking. Part of me prefers he catch it now while omicron is mild and he’s been recently boosted. But I don’t know how severely he will get sick. It’s a gamble. A doctor friend says the virus mutations will get weaker wnd weaker. Viruses don’t want to kill their hosts. So they will evolve to become endemic, like the flu and most colds. So it’s best if we avoid catching these new mutations. So putting it off as long as possible makes sense for Dh.
    I agree with that, I was hoping our whole family could put it off for as long as possible, or at least until the girls' boosters were fully effective (they just got boostered Friday afternoon). None of us have any high risk factors and with optional masking at school and record high case counts locally, it felt like a ticking bomb before we would get it. I actually would not be surprised if one, or both of the girls' tests come back positive and the possibility they brought it home from school and gave it to me. DD2 had a sore throat last week, did a rapid on her a few days later and it was negative and then the sore throat went away. DD1 had sniffles at the beginning of this week, but again, went away a day or so later. Now they are congested like me. I know several families here that have been super careful this entire time but have gotten sick in the past few weeks, some mild, some more harsh symptoms, but no hospitalizations (all vaccinated). It stinks to have been so careful this whole time and finally get it, but at least it was now instead of before vaccines were available.
    Last edited by ang79; 01-16-2022 at 05:10 PM.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    It stinks to have been so careful this whole time and finally get it, but at least it was instead of before vaccines were available.
    This is what we have been saying. Thank goodness we got this after the vaccines were available!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My daughter caught it this fall, back during delta. I took her food and she quarantined in her room and used a different bathroom. If your DH travels a lot, he probably really doesn't want to get it because it might affect his travels. DD still doesn't have her sense of smell back and has reduced lung capacity.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If everyone else is gone during the day and you have air filters, I would come out in masks but be back to your room say an hour before others would get home. Can you and DD share a room and bathroom, maybe have the basement to yourselves? I would allow the recently recovered DS around you. That seems reasonable but I’m no expert. Of course, none of that matters if you decide not to bother and I understand that approach too. If some kids are going to school despite the family not isolating, I would test them every morning if I had the tests. But I also realize we’re living in a world where not everyone else is being careful so what’s the point. I think I would try to isolate from DH if only to have him not get sick until you are likely on the mend so there’s one healthy parent available if possible.

Good luck!!! This is all getting so tricky. My family was brainstorming what we’d do given all the possible combinations. It’s head spinning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bw52 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

When my dh got Covid (delta) he quarantined in our room and I brought his food, etc to his door. He really didn’t leave his room except to go outside once in awhile (door from our room leads outside). I slept in my kids room. Yes, it was a pain. Not having my bathroom or bedroom for 2 weeks was hard for me, too. But the rest of us never got. There are 5 other people in our small house and we managed to stay healthy.

That’s just to say that it’s possible to keep the rest of the family healthy when someone has it. Not saying everyone has to do it this way. We’ve been extremely careful this whole time though and have high risk kids so it wasn’t worth the risk for us. It’s hard though, so I know not everyone can do that and that’s ok

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bw52 View Post
    When my dh got Covid (delta) he quarantined in our room and I brought his food, etc to his door. He really didn’t leave his room except to go outside once in awhile (door from our room leads outside). I slept in my kids room. Yes, it was a pain. Not having my bathroom or bedroom for 2 weeks was hard for me, too. But the rest of us never got. There are 5 other people in our small house and we managed to stay healthy.

That’s just to say that it’s possible to keep the rest of the family healthy when someone has it. Not saying everyone has to do it this way. We’ve been extremely careful this whole time though and have high risk kids so it wasn’t worth the risk for us. It’s hard though, so I know not everyone can do that and that’s ok
    I could do that too. I could stay in my room and not come out. But I guess the question is- is that what’s necessary to keep everyone healthy? Can I come out and work on stuff in the kitchen and main rooms if the Hepa purifiers are on, I’m wearing an N95 mask and the door is cracked slightly? Have some laundry to do, some last Christmas decorations to wrap up, etc. Is that safe to do? It just seems like such a waist of time if the other precautions are enough to keep everyone safe.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I could do that too. I could stay in my room and not come out. But I guess the question is- is that what’s necessary to keep everyone healthy? Can I come out and work on stuff in the kitchen and main rooms if the Hepa purifiers are on, I’m wearing an N95 mask and the door is cracked slightly? Have some laundry to do, some last Christmas decorations to wrap up, etc. Is that safe to do? It just seems like such a waist of time if the other precautions are enough to keep everyone safe.
    If you don’t mind others catching it, you’re fine to move around masked. If you want to contain it to just the two of you, I would huddle up in your room and only come out as needed. The cleaning and decorations will still be there when you’re better. You just have to decide which option is best for your family.

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

When I tested positive just after Christmas DD and DS who are fully vaxxed were home with me. I didn't isolate from them, we didn't mask in the house, but didn't go anywhere outside except for a walk at night on NYE (we live in a subdivision with big quiet streets. Our neighbors left champagne on my front step and the party next door came out at midnight and we cheered Happy New Year across the yards! I have my own bathroom, but I was around them, we had the notion that if they got it from me, this was the perfect time to "get it over with" They do not have any underlying health conditions. Neither tested positive on a PCR given after exposure.

DS was around 8 boys last Sunday at basketball then dinner at BWW, 6 are now positive, 1 just had covid in November, DS is vaxxed and had covid a year ago. We are waiting to see if he gets it, it is rampant here, it really is everywhere, and often people who are super careful. I honestly can't believe he has gotten it from hockey as I know in the dressing room and hotels the boys are literally on top of each other.

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would want to keep isolated from DH as I wouldn't want us both sick at the same time. My best friend is going through this right now and has a DH plus 3 kids ages 3, 8, and 12. The 8 and 12 year old just got vaxxed last month, the 3 year old is too young obviously. My friend started having symptoms on 1/2 and isolated away from her DH as much as possible (sleeping in separate rooms) but not as much with the kids because they're kids and her 3 year old definitely didn't leave her alone. My best friend is on day 14 and pretty much better except for slight loss of taste and cough that comes after exercising. Her 12 year old DD tested positive with symptoms when my friend was on day 3 and her DH just tested positive on Friday on her day 12. His symptoms started with a headache but then progressed to vomiting 5 times throughout the day. With so many kids, I think my friend was grateful that her DH didn't get sick till she was better and done with her own isolation. No symptoms or positive tests with her 3 and 8 year olds yet, but her DH is the infectious one now so the littles aren't in the clear yet unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think that a mask, air purifiers and open door/window when they arent around is more than enough precaution.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast