ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Covid and elevated heart rate on Fitbit

I remembered reading something awhile back about a study that Fitbit was doing about an elevated heart rate indicating Covid infection. Out of curiosity, I checked my Fitbit data and my resting heart rate is currently the highest its been in quite awhile (I normally am between 71 and 74 and yesterday and today am 77). Not a huge spike, and there could be other factors involved as it has been that high at different points before, but since I tested positive today, I'm curious if anyone else has noticed that trend? The articles I found were from the summer and noted that infection correlated with higher heart rates for months after, longer than for patients with other infections such as the flu. The article did not mention if vaccination had any effect on numbers.

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think anytime you are fighting something off you have the chance of an elevated heart rate. I don't think that is specific to Covid. Just being sick in general.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

A local friend mentioned her blood pressure was elevated after a recent Covid infection.
    K

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    A local friend mentioned her blood pressure was elevated after a recent Covid infection.
    I just started a phlebotomy program yesterday and our instructor almost died of Covid in July 2020 (ICU, on a vent and in a coma for 17 days, resuscitated 3 times, 8 month recovery) and when I asked him if he had any long haul symptoms he said he now has hypertension, which he never had pre-covid. I've definitely heard of people having rapid heartbeats as well, but going from 71 to 77 really doesn't seem clinically significant.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    I just started a phlebotomy program yesterday and our instructor almost died of Covid in July 2020 (ICU, on a vent and in a coma for 17 days, resuscitated 3 times, 8 month recovery) and when I asked him if he had any long haul symptoms he said he now has hypertension, which he never had pre-covid. I've definitely heard of people having rapid heartbeats as well, but going from 71 to 77 really doesn't seem clinically significant.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    I’m not worried that mine went slightly up, was just curious if it’s something others have noticed. I did find it interesting that the articles noted that elevated heart rates seemed to last longer after a Covid infection vs. other infections. There are still so many unknowns with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Not covid, but my DH notices that anytime he is down with any illness or really stressed his HRV(heart rate variability) on Fitbit falls.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DH had Covid in January 2020 and his resting heart rate went from 59 bpm to low 70s while he was infected. It normalized within 2 weeks - he had a pretty mild case without obvious lung involvement.

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
    I think anytime you are fighting something off you have the chance of an elevated heart rate. I don't think that is specific to Covid. Just being sick in general.
    So if you're positive now it definitely makes sense your HR might be a bit higher. Hope you're feeling better soon!
    Lizi