Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default OMG, Tide...wtf?

Just opened a new box of Tide (powder) from Costco, did some laundry with it, and the laundry came out smelling AWFUL like cologne. WTF?? A quick Google search reveals that Tide did, in fact, change the scent of Original Tide, but they still call it Original Tide, so the box has no indication on it anywhere that the scent is NOT Original Tide. I am angry! This smell is making me nauseous, aggravating my asthma, I just washed the kids' cloth masks in it!

How do I get this smell out of our clothes? It's SO much stronger than the Actual Original, and the smell is lingering (vs the Original scent which fades). I might have to switch detergents, ugh. Any recommendations for a good one? We don't deal so much with stains, but we tend to have oily skin so the detergent has to be great at removing sebum and oil. I'm not opposed to a scent (I did like the Actual Original Tide scent) but the scent just has to agree with me and not be overpowering.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 01-18-2022 at 10:04 AM.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm going through this with DD's clothes - her BFF sprayed HER THINGS with perfume while they were hanging out over the weekend and I think the kid is back on my fecal roster.

I had to double-wash with unscented detergent using an extra water, deep wash cycle and adding about 1/8th-cup baking soda to the drum. I also double-rinse.

You could also try soaking in unscented OxyClean before re-washing with unscented detergent?

For the sebum, I might try switching to a powder formula rather than using liquid or gel-pacs. I like Rockin' Green, but it can be pricey.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Just run a few rinses.
    eta- I like Arm and Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    ,,, I think the kid is back on my fecal roster.
    I was like 'What?? Ohhhh!"

To the OP, I agree with SnuggleBuggles. We used Arm and Hammer powder for years and I was always happy with it. I don't remember it having an offensive scent, but it's probably been 10+ years since we used it. We now use Gain liquid, which I really like.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

That would make me crazy. Walmart and Kroger sell unscented Tide powder.

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I would re-wash with baking soda, then if at all possible, hang outside to dry in the sun.
    Lizi

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    I was like 'What?? Ohhhh!" ...
    I just love euphemisms, don't you?
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If it's like the detergent my SIL uses, I have to wash everything twice after it's gotten to our house in unscented detergent just to get it to the point that I can deal with the perfume. (Note, she does not use Tide, but just a very strong smelling, lingering-scented detergent.) My preference has been All Free and Clear for a long time, so even though DH uses some regular Tide, I hadn't realized they changed their scent!
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default OMG, Tide...wtf?

I haven’t been able to use Tide regular in 26 years (when I used Accutane when I was 18) because it irritated my skin. My kids also say it aggravates their eczema (my MIL loves Tide). We use Gain regular, Persil Sensitive (I have only never found this at Walmart), or Tide Free. All Free also works but tbh I think my clothes get cleaner with one of the other three. I switch off between powder or liquid, but honestly prefer powder (which I know they still make in regular Tide, but not free). I used Kirkland Free detergent for years until their last reformulation caused me to breakout in hives.

ETA: I will have to look for Unscented Tide powder the next time I go to Walmart but I haven’t seen it in a really long time….maybe it is now a regional thing.

ETA 2: Gain Sensitive smelled awful! I was really surprised it had a scent at all, but it was new and I thought I would try it. It was liquid only though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 01-18-2022 at 03:16 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

I never buy Tide (I'm too cheap...) but for some reason I had picked up a bottle of the Tide Simply Clean or something like that -- whatever their cheapest version is -- when it was on sale and I was trying to use up Extrabucks at CVS. I had to hold my breath when I poured it, the scent was so strong! I'll never buy it again. I have no basis for comparison to know if it was just that one specific kind or if other types of Tide are also that strongly scented.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast