Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Hypoallergenic bra?

This is an odd one..
    I have had allergic reactions to panties before- I can’t wear the soma vanishing edge undies - and now I’m wondering if I’m suddenly allergic to my bras. I think I had a reaction to True & co bras - I used hydrocortisone and stopped wearing them for two weeks and was fine. Then I tried again and it started, and now my underwires are causing itching Under my breasts. I’ve had no issues for years. . I also think my bra size has increased, which is strange given I’ve gone down several dress sizes! I’d like to try a hypoallergenic bra and see if it helps. Has anyone had this issue? I’m thinking cotton, wire free, but I do need support,
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

This may sound weird, but I wonder about wool. I've been into wool lately and wool has lots of natural properties like moisture wicking, antimicrobial, temp regulating. I have looked at some wool bras but can't seem to find any with the padding I would need. They all seem to be very minimalist and I need coverage and a little bit of enhancement. I am going to try wool undies though because I do seem to be having more "reaction" to synthetic fabrics than I used to.

Right now I wear True & Co so I'm sorry they aren't working for you! It did occur to me when I bought them that they feel very much synthetic.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

This may sound weird and given the two week gap you took, probably not the answer, but I spent a week in August thinking I was having new allergic reactions to my bras. I have a nickel allergy and thought maybe the underwire was wear thru or something like that. Turned out to be shingles which often runs long the nerves wrapping around the rib cage. The irritation often starts before the rash shows up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCGrandma is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I’m not sure about hypoallergenic bras, but I have NEVER been able to wear underwire bras. I have all sorts of allergies including most skin products, and as a result, my skin is extra sensitive in general. I don’t have any (known) metal allergies but I think the underwires just rubbed enough to cause some irritation which then "blossomed."

Even though it sounds like you regularly wear underwire bras, it might be worth trying a non-underwire style. If that helps, it probably isn’t worth trying to figure out specifically what caused the reaction. I also prefer cotton bras, but that’s just because they’re more comfortable than synthetics in hot weather.

Hope it’s not shingles!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    This may sound weird and given the two week gap you took, probably not the answer, but I spent a week in August thinking I was having new allergic reactions to my bras. I have a nickel allergy and thought maybe the underwire was wear thru or something like that. Turned out to be shingles which often runs long the nerves wrapping around the rib cage. The irritation often starts before the rash shows up.

The first time it happened was months ago, so I don’t think that’s it since it healed once I stopped. But now I’m wondering if it’s also that my bras are tight. It’s weird because I’ve been doing IF and lost all this weight but my bras are tight!
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

I have sensitive skin and allergies to various things, but all these years I’ve worn underwire bras with no issues. I think it’s a combination of sensitivity to true & co bras that started the itching, compounded by wearing tight bras. The sad thing is I sized up one size thinking it was correct and replaced my bras (not the true & co), but it’s probably still too tight!

i found Cottonique brand but they don’t have many sizes online. I think a simple cotton wirefree might be a good thing to start with. I didn’t even know there were wool bras! Years ago, when I had allergy testing, I was told I had a wool allergy. I’m ok with wearing wool, but a bra might be too much.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Shingles is my first thought honestly. Do you have any weird internal pain? You can have shingles without a rash though, but then it makes it really hard to diagnose (I still get Shingles from time to time but have no rash due to having the old shingles vaccine……it is like it only works half way and not 100% but no healthcare provider will give me the new one since I am in my early 40s…..the don’t care that I have been dealing with shingles for almost 8 years). The poking pain from an underwire bra makes me think it could be shingles. It sounds weird but the pain is usually near where the underwire sits. The rash however when you have it is only on one side of the body, did that happen?

I don’t like Soma Vanishing Edge underwear because I don’t like it sticking to my butt, but that is probably a silicone allergy.

Non underwire bra wise I wear these from Hanes around the house or to do yoga in but they offer almost no support so you would need something else for lift if you do decide to go the no wire route.

Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Shingles is my first thought honestly. Do you have any weird internal pain? You can have shingles without a rash though, but then it makes it really hard to diagnose (I still get Shingles from time to time but have no rash due to having the old shingles vaccine……it is like it only works half way and not 100% but no healthcare provider will give me the new one since I am in my early 40s…..the don’t care that I have been dealing with shingles for almost 8 years). The poking pain from an underwire bra makes me think it could be shingles. It sounds weird but the pain is usually near where the underwire sits. The rash however when you have it is only on one side of the body, did that happen?

I don’t like Soma Vanishing Edge underwear because I don’t like it sticking to my butt, but that is probably a silicone allergy.

Non underwire bra wise I wear these from Hanes around the house or to do yoga in but they offer almost no support so you would need something else for lift if you do decide to go the no wire route.

hmmm, it’s not pain but itching on both sides. I should probably get my shingles vaccine.
    Eta: no internal pain

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    hmmm, it’s not pain but itching on both sides. I should probably get my shingles vaccine.
    Eta: no internal pain
    Yes it may not be shingles then if it is on both sides. I have never worn a True & Co. bra so I have no experience.

I currently love these bras from Maidenform (they also have them at Kohl’s) and have no issues with wires poking out of them and the lining is very cotton feeling. I was wearing 3rd Love bras for years but these are just as comfy and half to a third of the price.

Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

First, congrats on your weight loss!
    I also had to change bra sizes after losing weight; the exercise actually built muscle mass and I needed a larger band size, but a smaller cup size due to losing fat. It's for sure worth getting fitted.
    I find myself using basic sports bras (no wire) the vast majority of the time now. Just mentioning it this because bras are expensive! You might not want to invest in new ones if your weight loss journey isn't over yet.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast