Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default How Much Have You Spent on Masks?

We just dropped $128 for our latest crop of masks (4 different styles, through amazon of various highly protective masks) and I haven't done the math but I'd guess we've done that at least 4-5 times since the start of the pandemic--though prices are definitely the highest they've ever been! We've been lucky that most of the masks we've actually purchased have worked for us in some capacity. We tried a few cloth masks that we no longer use and a few styles from Amazon that we not good fits. I just wonder if anyone has actually calculated how much you've spent on masks?

I'd imagine too that those who attended in person school last year (we did not) have higher totals than we do. We were all remote last year. DH and I both work remotely too!

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    We just dropped $128 for our latest crop of masks (4 different styles, through amazon of various highly protective masks) and I haven't done the math but I'd guess we've done that at least 4-5 times since the start of the pandemic--though prices are definitely the highest they've ever been! We've been lucky that most of the masks we've actually purchased have worked for us in some capacity. We tried a few cloth masks that we no longer use and a few styles from Amazon that we not good fits. I just wonder if anyone has actually calculated how much you've spent on masks?

I'd imagine too that those who attended in person school last year (we did not) have higher totals than we do. We were all remote last year. DH and I both work remotely too!
    Oof I'm not sure I want to know!! I'm estimating we've spent about $200 in disposable masks (KN95s, Level 2-3 surgical masks) and about $200 in cloth masks (Vera Bradley, Athleta, others). Plus I have spent hours making cloth masks too.

We were virtual last year so not really using masks unless we went out, which was not often. We heavily re-use our KN95s too. We also heavily reuse our surgical masks, which are used only as filters inside cloth masks.

Wow. Great question! Probably between $300-350? That's probably on the low end and probably not as much as many folks here!

I easily spent $120 on Athleta cloth masks for DS and several packs of Old Navy for me at $12.50.

And then there are the various boxes of surgical masks and the cloth that we ordered:

Local seamstresses during the very early days: None fit well
    B Green: Kind of worked
    Mama Seamstress: Great for DH, eh for me and DS
    Adidas for DS: Didn't work
    Target: Worked for DS, no for DS and me

The latest orders were a box of surgical that finally worked for DS and the large Dr. Puri for DH and me. He doesn't like it and I'm pretty meh on them. I had planned to order the mediums when they come back in stock, but I just can't drop another $40 dollars on masks!
    Last edited by carolinacool; 01-18-2022 at 01:31 PM.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Waaay too much. Right at the start, I shelled out over $200 for 10 N95 masks on eBay for DH who is a doctor. His hospital gave him only one N95 initially, and he wanted more.

I spent a lot of cloth masks initially (Costco ones, athleta), but this year We started with disposable surgical and have now moved more protective masks and those are pretty expensive
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Too much! We were wearing Happy Masks at $24 a piece for a long time. I've been ordering surgical masks since the beginning to keep in cars as backup. We now have a small supply of KF94 masks in small, medium and large. And yet I dropped off DS2 and DD in 3-ply surgical masks this morning because I'm over fighting them. The kids do not reuse their surgical masks, DH and I do reuse both surgical and KF94 masks until they hit around 40 hours. Then there are the various cloth masks we tried along the way from local and Etsy sources.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Really not sure. My kids preferred surgical masks pretty early on except DS1 likes his Adidas ones. We are reusing our KN95s now. Surrounded by what seems like an increasing amount of folks who don’t mask so that’s frustrating.
    K

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yeah, I am in the I don't want to know category. Started off shopping, with much trial and error, for cloth type masks and went through so many of those. Settled on Starks, but also went thru so many of those. Now we use KF94s...I reuse mine as I am not out for long, but go back and forth about the kids reusing after being at school. So far, mostly not...ds sweats alot, there is so much dirt, etc
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I feel like I've spent a billion dollars. Cloth masks for me, DH, and kiddos early on when availability and options were scarce. More cloth masks for the 3 of us once we learned what we liked and what fit best. Then boxes of paper masks for sports and quick trips to the store. Then KN95s for DH (teacher) and DD2 (vax uneligible at start of school year). Then KN95s for DD1 (uneligible for booster until recently) and me. We have all been fully in person and with mask mandates since Sept 2020 so we've gone through a lot of masks.

I shudder to think what we've done to the environment in the past 2 years with disposable masks, disposable test kit supplies, other PPE, and a general return to single use plastics in the name of health and safety.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’m going to say we’re easily more than $500 probably closer to $750 if not $1,000. I panicked in the beginning because I didn’t have any masks. I bought from a couple of different Etsy sellers initially. We wore those but didn’t love them. Found Mama Seamstress and bought a bunch from her then gifted another 6 to various family members. We bought b green masks, Outdoor Research masks, Old Navy masks, Athleta masks, Target masks, Adidas masks, generic surgical masks, Armbrust surgical masks, N95 masks, Vera Bradley masks, homemade masks from a friend, homemade masks from a neighbor after my friend closed up her shop, and KF94 masks for all four of us. My kids were in school all last year and wore cloth masks. We wore masks when we skied last year and anytime we were out of our house. We rotated through several different masks each week.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default How Much Have You Spent on Masks?

Let’s see:
    Disposable surgical masks: about $50
    Cloth masks: maybe $125-$150 (Baggu, Rothy’s, and Save the N95…..I liked the Save the N95s the best. The Rothys were the most expensive at $20 a piece iirc, the rest were between $10-$17 iirc).
    KN95 order of 10:$20 including shipping (these are Powecom I am waiting for….ordered on 1/6 through Project95)

All we are wearing now are surgical masks though although I do plan on using the KN95s for the store, church and crowded areas once they arrive. No clue if my kids will like them and therefore wear them at school.

Before the kids went back to school in late March we wore more cloth masks and my mom made most of those, but the kids didn’t like wearing them all day at school so that was when we tried Baggu and Save the N95; DD1 preferred the Baggu and Rothy’s while Dd2 preferred the Save the N95. Since about October though both girls have preferred the surgical masks so I just stocked up on those ironically right before DH’s positive Covid test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 01-18-2022 at 07:15 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast