Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Here’s a head scratcher

So my twins (15) started with symptoms Wednesday night. We knew they had exposure, so I tested one and got a negative on Friday. Saturday both tested positive. I tested negative. I started feeling bad on Sunday and Monday morning tested positive. So we are all home obviously. Plus school is virtual because our numbers are crazy right now. Yesterday I used my last test on DS who is symptom free and he tested negative. Anyway, DH is going to work with a mask since he’s vaxxed. They have been doing daily temp checks for over a year. He’s never had a fever. This morning they clocked him at close to 100. They retested him twice at 10 minute intervals and got the same result each time. All his coworkers are clocking normal temps. So he obviously comes home although he says he feels fine. Well then I felt him and I am like you are normal. I have retested him about 6 times and he is normal every time. What are the odds this would happen? Is it a weirdly coincidental fluke? I’m so confused! Testing centers are so backed up right now in our area that tests are taking 5-6 days to come back. And OTC tests are super hard to find. So what to think? He is working from home but honestly doesn’t have what he needs to work from home well plus with virtual school we are using ALL our rooms and ALL our devices! I had to zoom with my preschool class from my phone in my actual bathroom.

ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Our recent experience was that the current strain was impossible to avoid household transmission, even vaccinated and boosted. I would assume that your husband has it.

DS1 and I were both lucky to have extremely mild symptoms - I don't think we would have noticed or tested if we didn't have the known household exposure from DS2. I never measured DS1 temp at anything above 99, but when I took him to the pediatrician's office for testing they measured him at 101.
    ncat
    mama to DD 12/04, DS1 11/08, and DS2 7/13

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

So they only did temp checks at work right? Not any covid testing?
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Given that he’s living with three positive people and likely on his way to being positive himself, I don’t think I’d fight this fight even if he’s technically allowed to attend work with household exposures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ncat View Post
    Our recent experience was that the current strain was impossible to avoid household transmission, even vaccinated and boosted. I would assume that your husband has it.

DS1 and I were both lucky to have extremely mild symptoms - I don't think we would have noticed or tested if we didn't have the known household exposure from DS2. I never measured DS1 temp at anything above 99, but when I took him to the pediatrician's office for testing they measured him at 101.
    Girls and I all tested positive on Sunday. DH’s PCR was negative. I am guessing the girls and I actually had it last week but symptoms were so minimal and gone the next day that we didn’t test them (and it was probably too soon to show on a rapid test anyways). So I’m not sure how DH avoided it, or if he will eventually get it. The girls and I are together more in the living room and kitchen, whereas he works from the basement and also tends to hang out there in the evening. But we share a bed and I was sneezing quite a bit last week. I told him he should test again on Friday or Saturday. For now he is not going anywhere.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    Given that he’s living with three positive people and likely on his way to being positive himself, I don’t think I’d fight this fight even if he’s technically allowed to attend work with household exposures.

I agree with this, as annoying as it seems for all of you. It also is concerning that he has a fever, confirmed twice. (It would be weird for me to actually have that particular "intervention" actually catch a COVID case!) Maybe he's that magical unicorn husband that doesn't feel symptoms? I know if my fever is 100 I'm already feeling pretty crummy. I'm so sorry OP!

Not sure what to think about the temp and I wouldn't personally focus on it much. Bottom line, he's at very high risk of being infected since he lives with you all. More and more research on Omicron is showing that it's increased transmissibility is due to immune evasion, both natural and vaccine-induced . It's still a fickle virus but I'd be on the lookout for symptoms. Too bad testing is so challenging right now.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I wouldn’t even try to figure it out. You guys are maxed out as it is, and I don’t think there’s much you can do. Body temp can change regularly. DS had a temp this weekend after surgery and when I checked him an hour later it was gone. So his temp was probably accurate at that point. Does he have guidelines for what needs to happen before he can return to work?

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    I wouldn’t even try to figure it out. You guys are maxed out as it is, and I don’t think there’s much you can do. Body temp can change regularly. DS had a temp this weekend after surgery and when I checked him an hour later it was gone. So his temp was probably accurate at that point. Does he have guidelines for what needs to happen before he can return to work?
    That’s the thing. The guidelines are confusing when tests are hard to come by so I’m not sure. He went in for the drive through test this morning. Maybe it won’t take forever to come back even though I hear it’s up to a week. I told him maybe a 30 minute fever was all he will get. I really wish OTC tests weren’t OOS everywhere. Honestly I am happy for him to be home it takes some of the pressure off me. So I guess work from home is what it is.

bnme is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

When my kids had asymptomatic COVID last year, then randomly ran fevers of 99-100 starting maybe 3 days after testing positive, for another 2+weeks. No other symptoms at all. Is 100 even technically a fever? I think our schools use 101. I would keep him home for the 5 days anyway to avoid spreading if possible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast