bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Serious COVID and doesn't qualify for monoclonals?

BIL is 47, has no preexisting conditions and is vaccinated (J&J) and has a serious case of COVID. According to my research he doesn't qualify for monoclonals at this time. He feels winded, has a fever and chest pain. He has a pulse oximeter which he is apparently using.

What else can he do to feel better? One of the new antivirals perhaps?

There are so many qualifications for their use. I guess he should contact his doctor and make sure he doesn't have conditions or medications that interfere with those two.

Would love advice I can send his way.

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You could try calling one of the facilities that does the monoclonals and see what they say.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'd recommend he call his PCP asap and see what they can recommend. My understanding is that monoclonals and the antivirals are in short supply and are only effective if taken within a few days of symptom onset. So if he can get either, he wouldn't want to wait too long to inquire if he's eligible and if they are available in his region. I would suggest that he also ask what constitutes a visit to the ER...what can/should he manage at home and when should he seek help.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Good advice guys. He's really out of it and I'm dealing with my SIL instead. I'll see what she has to say about symptom onset and if he's in contact with his doctor!

Our local larger healthcare systems have hotlines set up for COVID monoclonals. I believe you still need a referral/order from your PCP but not all PCPs are up to date on current treatments and procedures so the hotlines help patients navigate the system. Maybe check and see if something is available in your area like that. Otherwise, PCP is a good place to start. Hope your BIL is on the upswing soon!
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Is his BMI over 25? If so, that will qualify him for monoclonals. Also high blood pressure is a qualifier. This is the website to find monoclonal infusion locations in your area, but yes, he needs a doctor's prescription and ideally they have to be given within the first 5 days of symptoms. https://protect-public.hhs.gov/pages...s-distribution

Paxlovid is available now as well and 89% effective. Also needs a prescription and should be given within the first 5 days as well. Several CVS and Walmart pharmacies are Paxlovid distributors.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If he can't get monoclonals or Paxlovid, try these supplements. I have everything on hand for when Covid finally hits our house.

Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    If he can't get monoclonals or Paxlovid, try these supplements. I have everything on hand for when Covid finally hits our house.

This is good. I'll forward this on.

And sadly I'm certain his BMI is not over 25. He has uses no medications and is slim for his age. They are contacting their doctors and asking about what they can do. Hopefully they'll be directed to the right places.

Default Serious COVID and doesn't qualify for monoclonals?

He’s not going to get it. There are MANY people who are high risk who have to wait a while to get them. My mom lives in the same county as you, and she qualified as Tier 1 (first bullet point). And it took her 4 days to get them since there is a shortage. As of last week when she got them, they were only giving them to tier 1 and tier 2, with priority to tier 1. Here are the qualifications. You need to have serious issues to be in tier 1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Maybe look into IV vitamin C. Where I live you can get it at place almost like a spa.