Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default CBD/related for chemotherapy

This is for a friend who lives in the Bay Area. She is interested in trying CBD for pain associated with chemo for breast cancer. She will also be doing radiation. Her doctor just said go to a dispensary.
    Has anyone looked into this? I did a little research and Delta 8 THC comes up. Ok, I am way out of my element here so I’m lost. I imagine she would prefer gummies. Or any other suggestions? Another friend was given pot brownies during chemo but that was years ago so I’m thinking things have changed and there are better options.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have had a few patients who had it prescribed for them in this situation. One was given pills (they smelled like pot in the bottle). Edibles/gummies are easy to take. A dispensary in CA will have a lot of information on dose etc. I would imagine local cancer centers will have information specific to CA laws and cancer treatment with cannabis. She should ask her doctor for more clarification.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

CBD is not the same as THC. CBD is chemical found in marijuana that some say has healing properties. It does not get you high and is legal in many places. THC is the chemical in marijuana that makes you high. It will show up on a drug test and is illegal anywhere marijuana is illegal. I think she probably needs THC and going to a dispensary is the best route. I have never been but they have lots of experience and can guide her to what she needs. She is lucky to be in CA to have this option.

Last year I went to a dispensary in IL when I was visiting my brother. I'm not super familiar with anything THC related, but wanted to try some for relaxation/anxiety.

I went to iheartjane.com and just picked products that looked good, which mostly worked out for me. On the site you can choose edibles or whatever you're comfortable with and then pick the feeling you're looking for (hungry and pain-free are options that would probably be good for someone going through chemo).

I've heard that the people that work at dispensaries are a bit like baristias or bartenders that can guide you and help you find exactly what you're looking for. I really recommend that iheartjane.com site since it will give you a pretty good idea about what's available, at the very least it will give you some of the vocabulary so you know what you can even ask for.

FYI - edibles take like an hour or two to kick in, and I'd recommend starting with half a gummy or half a square of chocolate.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk

Gatorsmom’s response from my duplicate thread:
    We are in Wisconsin so I can't help you as far as locations to purchase CBD products. But I will say that last fall I had lunch with a friend of my parents. She's in her early 80's and very active as a realtor. She has always impressed me for her intelligence and strong work ethic. We had lunch last fall and she told me she has been suffering from rheumatoid arthritis for decades. She was fighting it with Embrel while it was working for her but it stopped working and she tried another medication. It worked for a while too. She was told about CBD oil drops and decided to try them 3 years ago. She places one drop under her tongue 3 times/ day (if i'm remembering correctly). She said it doesn't affect her senses or her judgment but it seems to have completely got rid of her pain. She stopped taking the prescription medication after taking the CBD for 2 years and says she doesn't regret it. The prescription medication wasn't helping with her pain (although it might have been helping with the degeneration of her joints. Though at 83yo, I don't think she cares about anything other than the pain).

The place she gets it from is a small co-op in our town that sell CBD tinctures of different kinds. I don't know much more than that.

Last edited by gatorsmom; 1 Day Ago at 02:02 AM.
    "People are made for happiness. Rightly then, you thirst for happiness. Christ has the answer to this desire of yours. But he asks you to trust him." -St. John Paul II
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Thank you!! This is all extremely helpful info. And tips. It seems her doctor said he can’t prescribe it but just go to a dispensary.
    I didn’t realize the people working there could advise further, but makes sense. Or a cancer center.
    I will check out the website, too.