Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Solution for dry and itchy scalp?

After spending months trying to get DD2’s hair to be a non oily pubescent mess we finally found a solution that works:
    1. Olaplex #3 once a week (Dd2 saw an ad for it in a mailer I got recently and she said she needed to try it so I said sure why not as I had some I rarely used…..it really works)
    2. Function of Beauty (from Target) w/dandruff addition or Unite 7 Seconds shampoo (every other day)
    3. Unite 7 Seconds conditioner on ends only

She is still complaining that her head itches like crazy and she is always tempted to itch her head. She doesn’t have lice as we have checked multiple times. I feel like I need a spray or serum that I can apply at the root and crown of her head, that won’t cause her hair to be oily. I saw that Ulta keeps a Nioxin one, and there is also one from Sunday Riley that has good reviews. At this point even though it might be expensive I need something that works and eliminates the little bit of itch and few dandruff flakes she still has, but doesn’t make her hair overly oily (most dandruff shampoos that moisturize made her hair an oily nasty frizzy mess).

Fwiw: her hair is thick, has a tiny bit of wave (this is new), and length wise is just below her chin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 01-20-2022 at 01:33 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I have read that an apple cider vinegar rinse helps to balance the ph and can help with itch- I have tried it and it does seem to work for me. My head also gets dry/itchy sometimes in the winter. I also shampoo pretty infrequently-only once a week or so.

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Are you sure she’s actually getting the shampoo down to her scalp?

I ask because I just went through this with DS. He’s 10, and has very thick, straight hair. His hair started looking greasy even right after it was washed. I asked him to wash it better but he still had greasy hair with a dry, flaky, itchy scalp. He showers daily by his own choice, but it kept getting worse.

So I took him to the sink and it took me three washes to get it clean. When his hair is a bit greasy it’s actually hard to get the water and shampoo all the way to the scalp, so I think he was washing the ends and the sides where his hair is shorter but never getting to the crown. After me scrubbing it, his hair was nice and soft again without flakes and he said the itchiness was better too.

I’m not a hair expert and don’t know anything about the products you are using, but it may be worth a try and see if it helps the itchiness to get the scalp really clean.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Are you sure she’s actually getting the shampoo down to her scalp? ...

I think I recommended the shampoo brush for your DD2 a few months ago; I think that should help. I have similar itchy/flakey scalp issues with thick, wavy, hair and since I've been using mine consistently, I've noticed a difference.

There's a learning curve for sure, and it may be harder to rinse if you're using a diffuse showerhead, but I think it's a cheaper option than trying to find yet another specialty shampoo that isn't getting where it needs to go.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Are you sure it’s not psoriasis? Dd has psoriasis on her scalp and the it’s so itchy. The urge to scratch is constant until the medicated shampoo kicks in. It was never an issue until puberty hit.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Are you sure it’s not psoriasis? Dd has psoriasis on her scalp and the it’s so itchy. The urge to scratch is constant until the medicated shampoo kicks in. It was never an issue until puberty hit.

What is the name of the medicated shampoo? Is it only available by prescription?
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

Default Solution for dry and itchy scalp?

Her hair no longer feels greasy and she is using the shampoo brush but she still complains about her scalp itching. She has bouts of scalp psoriasis, but it has been about a month since I saw the last patch at the top of her head. She is always itching the back of her head so maybe I just need to look more closely.

Last edited by AnnieW625; 01-26-2022 at 04:57 PM.
    Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Corie View Post
    What is the name of the medicated shampoo? Is it only available by prescription?
    Dd’s shampoo is by prescription but I’m not sure if it’s available OTC in other dosages. She uses Ketoconazole 2% common name Nizoral. Dd has been using it for a year and swears by it. The majority of her psoriasis is on her hands but occasionally she gets patches on her scalp. This stuff prevents the itching and flaking.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Dd’s shampoo is by prescription but I’m not sure if it’s available OTC in other dosages. She uses Ketoconazole 2% common name Nizoral. Dd has been using it for a year and swears by it. The majority of her psoriasis is on her hands but occasionally she gets patches on her scalp. This stuff prevents the itching and flaking.
    Thank you! I've been seeing my dermatologist for an itchy scalp. Currently, I'm using a Clobetasol Solution (prescription) on my scalp but
    it isn't working. We did a scalp biopsy at my last visit to test for psoriasis but it came back negative. Not sure what to do.
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

Thank you all. I bought some Apple Cider Vinegar so we are going to try that as well and will probably try and work Nizoral into the shampoo routine again. She will have her yearly physical in late April or early May so we will definitely mention this issue (plus the acne issue) to the pediatrician so we can hopefully get a dermatologist referral.

Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast