Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default New Whine-and-Cheese Party Thread - 2022 Edition

We're renovating our bathrooms at the moment; we started demo on the "guest" bath on December 8th. It's mostly done, except we have to get the plumber back in to fix something in the shower piping & install the showerhead & controls, mount the toilet, and set up the sink connections (flexible water supply for hot & cold, plus drain pipe.)

However, DH also decided to try to remove the (non-asbestos) popcorn ceiling work from a couple areas in the house on his own. It went ... about as well as you would expect for spaces with way-awkward angles. Admitting defeat, he decides to bring in painters to do the work instead.

The crew that gave us the best quote started work yesterday (January 20th.)
    They put dropcloths down to make cleaning up the carpeting easier, so they caught most of the popcorn scrapings, but they also had to repair some of the sheetrock & added joint compound. And then they sanded.

My living room looks like the scary part in ET (when the scientists come & set up their plastic tent bubble around Elliot's house) and there is a fine layer of sanded sheetrock dust EVERYWHERE. Yes, literally EVERY WHERE. I honestly hadn't realized it was that bad until he & DD came home from the ILs' house - he'd spent the day there, working, and we brought DD there after school because there wasn't any access to her bedroom - because I was staying in the kitchen. But ... it's bad. And it'll require a full deep-cleaning. (At least I did a lot of that before Xmas, so it's not going to be completely disgusting, but it's still going to require mopping. Not wet Swiffering. Mopping.)

I worked a little bit to clean up last night while DH freaked out (he had an interview today, Jan. 21st) and asked to change pillowcases, etc., which, OK, fine, I can do that, but he needs to get TF out of my way and let me work. He keeps snapping because he's "really anxious about the interview" - like, dude, yes, OK, I understand being anxious about that interview, but snapping at me isn't going to make it easier.

I used Pledge and a microfiber to dust the wood (he was using effing Swiffers, which are great for touchups, but not for CLEANING; this needed CLEANING), ran the comforters through the dryer on a steam-sanitize cycle, and changed the sheets. (Maybe overkill, but he's already snapping and being a PITB, so I will overkill the heck out of things) and got things to the point where we could get to bed before midnight.

I did kind of flip out at DD when she called me at 6:30p to tell me that (1) she wants her mommy and (2) ILs were having dinner, so I should come on over ... because I thought that it had slipped DH's mind to tell me we were all having dinner at ILs' house because ours is ... a disaster area. A true disaster area, not a DH hyperbolic "disaster area."

I admit that the flipping out part wasn't fair, but he had never given me a plan for picking DD up - I thought that, after he and his dad left (dropped off the primer bucket), he'd be coming home with DD directly. (Apparently, something blew up at work & he needed more time, which could have been solved by a text, like, maybe "hey, I'm putting out a major work fire, come pick DD up now so I can work in peace" or something.)

So, apparently, this means I have a bad attitude because I am already trying to coach parents through cookies (did I mention it's cookie season?) and trying not to freak out about the fine layer of dust on everything ... oh, and our vacuum finally broke while I was cleaning up the fine dust from the bedroom carpeting.

Bottom line, we are both extremely stressed and ended the night shouting at each other.

Fortunately, the paint crew expects to be done by like tomorrow (Jan. 22nd) so I'll have all day Sunday and Monday to do the cleaning & laundry that needs to get done.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

UGH! So there with you- we are putting in central a/c (pretty excited about that tbh) but it involves cutting lots of holes in a 100 year old house and therefore, dust. Even though they have been fairly careful. Plus we are doing some separate work in our basement that involves cutting into the stone foundation- even more dust! I hate it, and I really hate having all these people in my house...a dusty, disheveled house always raises the stress levels for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ezcc View Post
    ... I really hate having all these people in my house...
    Like, I can tolerate and even manage a certain degree of mess and chaos far beyond what DH can but even I'm bugging out a little with having work crews in and out all day.

Thankfully, the painters are finished, so all we need now is the plumber to come back and we'll have the use of our brand-new bathroom ... before we start the reno for the master bathroom, but DH and I have to see if we can find the contractor for another house on the block that removed the soaking tub that the house came with and replaced it with a large shower, which gives it a more modern feel.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default New Whine-and-Cheese Party Thread - 2022 Edition

I’ll add mine - catalytic converter was cut from my car Dec 13, insurance estimate listed part that’s illegal in CA was issued Dec 23. Today Jan 24, after multiple phone calls begin on hold and attempts on their website, the mechanic and I managed to submit the supplemental request asking for adjustment to the estimate that was wrong in the first place because the adjuster made a mistake. I’m not stupid, the mechanic deals with other insurance companies, it should not have taken us this long to figure it out!!!

Now they better approve it so I can get my car fixed!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    ... insurance estimate listed part that’s illegal in CA was issued Dec 23. ... I’m not stupid, the mechanic deals with other insurance companies, it should not have taken us this long to figure it out!!!

Now they better approve it so I can get my car fixed!!
    Oh my goodness!

How has it been with one car? It's my understanding that CA is even more of a car state than NJ. (DH and I can function with a single car, but it's really hard.)
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    Oh my goodness!

How has it been with one car? It's my understanding that CA is even more of a car state than NJ. (DH and I can function with a single car, but it's really hard.)
    I’ve been driving a rental as part of car insurance. That’s up soon then I’ll drive DS’s car, and he’ll get school bus. He’s not so happy about that! My work, DH’s work and DS’s school are all in different directions. But good news is, got approval from car insurance for parts, ordered the parts, but it’ll be 2 more weeks to get them, so hopefully the end is in sight!

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

This is already quite the year. I hear you on the drywall dust, it takes forever to get out of everything.
    I was in a car accident the Monday before Thanksgiving, I still don't have my car back. . .
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

Quote Originally Posted by trales View Post
    This is already quite the year. I hear you on the drywall dust, it takes forever to get out of everything.
    I was in a car accident the Monday before Thanksgiving, I still don't have my car back. . .
    Yikes! What are you doing for transport? Hope you’re ok from the accident

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’ll add mine.

DH last night mentions in passing that he has a work dinner tonight. I drive him to the station when he’s going to stay in and he grabs a cab on the way home so he won’t drive after drinking. Works great except he didn’t ask me to drive him so it wasn’t on my radar. DC and I get up this morning usual time and DH is puttering around the kitchen. I start breakfast and ask if he’s working from home. Nope - he needs a ride to the train! Yikes - moving in to high gear and tell the kids we need to hurry so I can get DH to the train and them to school on time. We rush and we make the train with time to spare. Does DH hop out so I can get DC to school? Nope - he has to put his mask on and then starts to put his hat on and needs his gloves….I remind him he needs to hurry - oh, we made great time so he’s going to get himself ready in the warm car! No, I still have to get DC to school and we don’t have time to waste. I get that it’s cold outside but he wasn’t driving. The station is where it always is. You know you’re going to get out when I pull up. Get ready! Uggghhhh…..clueless, completely clueless!

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    ...Does DH hop out so I can get DC to school? Nope - he has to put his mask on and then starts to put his hat on and needs his gloves….I remind him he needs to hurry - oh, we made great time so he’s going to get himself ready in the warm car! No, I still have to get DC to school and we don’t have time to waste. I get that it’s cold outside but he wasn’t driving. The station is where it always is. You know you’re going to get out when I pull up. Get ready! Uggghhhh…..clueless, completely clueless!
    This is like me raging in the dropoff line at school - it's tuck-and-roll, people! TUCK! AND! ROLL!

Seriously, keep your gloves in your pockets and put them on when you're on the sidewalk.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast