Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    I’m sorry to hear this one didn’t go well. Onward and upward - hoping the next one is the perfect job for you!
    OK, so I got some feedback today and my thought that asking about the schedule wasn't the reason they didn't extend an offer to me ... my problem is I'm over-qualified.

Apparently, my next step is to apply for DH's role (he's moving to another division of the company) ... and learn how to get comfortable with quiet. When I get nervous, I talk about very granular day-to-day processes & procedures ... and I keep talking.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

DH: You need to get your cough checked; pick a doctor & make an appointment by Tuesday.

Also DH: Why did we get a bill from the dermatologist?

Surprise bills are one reason I don't keep up with doc visits. (The other reason is not a good reason either ... I get really overwhelmed by the search function in the insurance doc-finder. I know I shouldn't, but I do.)
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

DH: Oh, I had a nosebleed so I stripped the bed; but I only got the fitted sheet, so don't worry about anything else.
    Me (wearing jeans when it's 80F in my house, trying to hand-wash dishes (I effing hate hand-washing dishes) so I have a clear sink for taco night): I can't exactly just replace the fitted sheet; it's gotta be the whole set. And did you pre-treat the stain?
    DH: Why do you have to treat me like a child?

Because you decided that, instead of remaking the g-d bed, you would just waltz downstairs and tell me that I had to ANOTHER THING THAT I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT because you can't adult.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

You wanna know what's demoralizing?

Being insta-rejected for a job you are actually qualified for within hours of applying.

That's OK; I have to find 4 to apply for today and I'm dragging my feet. Searching stinks.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    You wanna know what's demoralizing?

Being insta-rejected for a job you are actually qualified for within hours of applying.

That's OK; I have to find 4 to apply for today and I'm dragging my feet. Searching stinks.
    How does that even work? How are you rejected when you are qualified? Can you call and talk to a human? Best of luck
    K

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    How does that even work? How are you rejected when you are qualified? Can you call and talk to a human? Best of luck
    Automatic sorting systems are super-fun!

In all honesty, I've had the same thing happen repeatedly for this company, so I'm guessing they're not actually posting real jobs.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    Automatic sorting systems are super-fun!

In all honesty, I've had the same thing happen repeatedly for this company, so I'm guessing they're not actually posting real jobs.
    Getting through the automated screening is horrible. There are actually services out there that will compare your resume to the job description and give you a percent match. A friend went from zero follow up to getting calls for interviews after changing wording to match the JD. As an example, changed from something like "CPR certified, adult and pediatric" to "Pediatric CPR certified" as that was the exact wording in the JD. Same freaking thing, but the auto-screen put it at a lower match.

This is also why networking is so important, especially at large companies. Knowing someone there can get your resume bumped from the "auto-screened out" to at least "a live human looked at it" pile. I know this is BP, so feel free to ignore, but if you feel this company would be a good fit, I would try to find a contact there and do an informational interview with them - let them know when you apply. I had someone reach out to me and I connected them to another person at a company they had applied to and had not heard back. My contact was able to put the resume in front of the right manager and get her an interview (need to follow up on what happened). Most people trying to sort the resumes would really rather have a personal recommendation of "hey you should look at this person" rather than trying to sort through hundreds of resumes which may not even be qualified.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post
    Getting through the automated screening is horrible. There are actually services out there that will compare your resume to the job description and give you a percent match. ... Same freaking thing, but the auto-screen put it at a lower match.
    Yes, I know. The last time I updated my resume, I used lingo that's used in jobs in my field instead of company-specific lingo. Still not getting through. Honestly, the strongest appeal about this company is that they are local (they have an office very close to my daughter's middle school, which is only a few minutes' drive from our home) and that's attractive, especially since it allows me to be a bit more flexible in terms of the minimum salary I can accept.

Positions further away, well, if they're on-site, I need more financial compensation to cover the costs of commuting.

This is also why networking is so important, especially at large companies. Knowing someone there can get your resume bumped from the "auto-screened out" to at least "a live human looked at it" pile. I know this is BP, so feel free to ignore, but if you feel this company would be a good fit, I would try to find a contact there and do an informational interview with them - let them know when you apply. I had someone reach out to me and I connected them to another person at a company they had applied to and had not heard back. My contact was able to put the resume in front of the right manager and get her an interview (need to follow up on what happened). Most people trying to sort the resumes would really rather have a personal recommendation of "hey you should look at this person" rather than trying to sort through hundreds of resumes which may not even be qualified.
    It's a textbook/educational materials company; I have experience working on textbooks (law school and criminal justice) from my former company. It's a match with my experience, but, at this point, with 8 years of not being paid for work, I don't care about "fit." I care about paychecks. (Which is how I ended up at my last/only post-college position - I had bills to pay and a lot of anxiety about my future. Asking me "where do you see yourself in 5 years?" was a landmine - I don't plan that far ahead!)
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Nothing major, but the big peeve right now is DH asking me what kind of plans I have for weekends. I, um, don't make plans for weekends.

Things are super-busy because most of the world's off work, we don't like the same kinds of leisure activities, and every time I suggest something, you find an excuse to either sabotage it or cancel at the absolute last minute, so I gave up trying to plan anything. (See also: why we cannot go to the RenFaire with you and every time I suggest a museum trip.)

Um, I'm not your social secretary and I don't really have local friends who I hang out with to just hang out; you don't even hang out with your friends, so why are your plans contingent on me having plans?

Heads up to extraverts and ambiverts to whom this sounds torturous: I'm very introverted in real life and find socializing exhausting. I do not need "girls'/moms' nights out" or friends' weekends to function. While I do admit that sometimes I get lonely, I am fine being by myself, a cold bottle of water, and a stack of books (or movies to watch.)

I need DH and DD to leave me the f^ck alone so I can recharge. (It's better than it was in 2020 when we were all ALWAYS underfoot and the togetherness made me snappy and touched-out, but I still need an uninterrupted stretch of "leave me thoroughly alone" time.)
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

sending a . The other day I was DONE listening to the cr@p so I got up from dinner, grabbed my phone, earbuds and dogs and went for a walk till I knew the girls were in bed. I listen to audio books on my phone.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast