Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

This effing house!!!

I don't know why the wiring in my house is so messed up, but let's just say ... instead of having GFCI outlets in our bathrooms (which we expect), we have them in the garage and kitchen (there are two in the kitchen) and the garage one tripped last week. Oh, and the internal breaker for the garage one is unresponsive.

We just had the powder room re-tiled. During the demolition stage, we couldn't get the water turned off at the sink or the toilet ... so we had to turn out the water for the entire house. (And we had to call in reinforcements in the form of my almost-80-year-old FIL to help cap the pipes so the contractors could finish the demo.)

And we have to wait a couple weeks to get the new vanity in so we're down a (half) bathroom.

Anyway, taking advantage of the fact that the powder room is now a small square room with a tile floor, and the drywall needed to be replaced, DH and FIL worked on that today. They discovered ... lint buildup from the dryer venting? (Seriously.)

*sigh* This house is frickin' weird.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    This effing house!!!

I don't know why the wiring in my house is so messed up, but let's just say ... instead of having GFCI outlets in our bathrooms (which we expect), we have them in the garage and kitchen (there are two in the kitchen) and the garage one tripped last week. Oh, and the internal breaker for the garage one is unresponsive.
    Remodeling sucks! And I know the pain of saying "WTH was the builder thinking??" along with the scope creep of finding more stuff that needs fixed. However, GFCI are required in any room with a water source as well as basements, garages, and crawlspaces. So, on that point, the builder did it correctly. They are a pain, especially if you are not sure which ones are on the same circuit - one trips and all the "downstream" ones may not reset... or it could be just worn out - it's always fun trying to figure out which it is! (not)
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post
    Remodeling sucks! And I know the pain of saying "WTH was the builder thinking??" along with the scope creep of finding more stuff that needs fixed. However, GFCI are required in any room with a water source as well as basements, garages, and crawlspaces. So, on that point, the builder did it correctly. They are a pain, especially if you are not sure which ones are on the same circuit - one trips and all the "downstream" ones may not reset... or it could be just worn out - it's always fun trying to figure out which it is! (not)
    I realize they're required in specific areas depending on building code, but two in the same room (kitchen) is a lot weird, especially when our bathrooms actually don't have them and the whole breaker box is a mess.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Zansu is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Sometimes the outlet has the interruption, and sometimes it's the breaker. I'm not sure what gets used when. Check your panel to figure out if you have any panel-based trips.

Any outlet near water is required to have them. You may also have some outdoors that are connected to the indoor circuits.

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My minor bitch (that is also cracking me up): DD invited friends over today to prep for a Friendsgiving. They used my bakeware, serving ware, and a pretty serving bowl to take their creations over to another friend’s house. And DD decided to leave early and left everything there. She will “get it all the next time she sees her friend.” Um, no, you are getting it tomorrow!! We need everything for Thanksgiving! Teenage brains!!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

On the Friendsgiving theme my dd1 is still at her friends house for their Friendsgiving and it is 10:30. I think I kind of expected her to be home by now. She is less than 10 miles away but the closest route is going on the freeway that can be kind of deserted this late at night or full of a lot of 18 wheelers. Part of it is my fault that I didn’t think to give her a curfew because I thought she would be home by 10. I just texted her and reminded her she needs to be home by 11 as she can’t drive between 11 pm and 5 am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7