Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    jennilynn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    Throwing in my two cents, although we are still in our first house because we can't afford to move up. lol

I agree that I would probably go with a bedroom per kid. But I also have questions about your husband's office space needs. Is he working from home most of the week or just occasionally? Is there a chance he could be at home permanently? As someone who has been camped out at the end of her dining room table for close to two years now, I would love a room with a door and a window -- even if it was small. I'm just over home office/(whatever) life. I realize that adding more rooms adds more dollar signs, but just something to think about.
    I’m actually the one working from home, full time now but likely part time starting this summer (I will be getting an office but probably won’t have to be there everyday.) The house has a small office nook with a built in desk that I planned to make mine.

DH goes to work but he’s a gamer So he’s been doing that at the dining room table and I need to get him a space for that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slightly crunchy mama to three awesome monkeys

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I grew up in a 5 bedroom house but also 5 kids! I shared most of my life as a result and only had about 18 months with my own room and I adored it. But my own teens actually surprisingly prefer to share. I have three kids in one small room and they love it. I think they’re outliers. Most teens probably prefer their own space (I did!) but maybe not all?

I’m definitely a fan of repurposing spaces to work best for your family. So if a bonus room can be a bedroom that’s fine. If a living room works as an office, also fine!

I work part-time out of my living room which works great during the school year and is AWFUL during the summer. I agree that a door and a window would be the ideal for an office space!

Quote Originally Posted by jennilynn View Post

DH goes to work but he’s a gamer So he’s been doing that at the dining room table and I need to get him a space for that!

Oh, I understand that! We have a small nook in our bedroom, and that's where DH works full time for now. But his gaming stuff is also over there. There are many nights I go to bed with my pillow covering my ears because he's yelling into his headset about something or other.

One of my friends has a nice but small office, and at one time they had moved her DH's gaming computer in. But when I was there last month, I saw it was back on their dining room table. I'm not sure what happened there.

Ah, the lives of gamers' wives.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Quote Originally Posted by jennilynn View Post
    I’m actually the one working from home, full time now but likely part time starting this summer (I will be getting an office but probably won’t have to be there everyday.) The house has a small office nook with a built in desk that I planned to make mine.

If you absolutely love everything about the house, another option would be to divide the bonus room for two kids and give your DH the 3rd bedroom. We have friends that had a 3 bedroom house and 4 kids. They had a contractor build a wall in the middle of the bonus room that included a closet on each half so each kid got their own space in the bonus room and a closet. It is open at the end of the closet wall but still very divided and has worked well. Another popular option in our area is to finish the attic/3rd floor for home office space, man cave or even a bedroom if that's possible.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    Oh, I understand that! We have a small nook in our bedroom, and that's where DH works full time for now. But his gaming stuff is also over there. There are many nights I go to bed with my pillow covering my ears because he's yelling into his headset about something or other.

One of my friends has a nice but small office, and at one time they had moved her DH's gaming computer in. But when I was there last month, I saw it was back on their dining room table. I'm not sure what happened there.

Ah, the lives of gamers' wives.
    Oh you are so much more patient with that than I would be!! Fortunately DH's gaming area is in the semi-finished part of our basement. He has a whole race car seat/pedals/steering wheel setup in addition to the regular XBOX and computer stuff. But I only have to see/hear it when I am over there doing laundry.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have a 4 bedroom house now and if we moved in the near future there's no way I'd consider less than 4 bedrooms. But then again I never thought DH would be working from home permanently since March 2020 or that my mother would be living in our house for 2+ years! So obviously it depends on what works for each family, but I'd need a separate bedroom completely dedicated to DH's office and nothing else. Plus no basements here so there's no option for bonus spaces, multipurpose areas, etc.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2