Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jennilynn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default House shopping…help with number of bedrooms

We’ve decided to sell our 4 bed 2 bath and find something that works better for our family now that the kids are older (13, 11 and 8.) Obviously buying a house is tough right now and we’re finding that most are 3 bedrooms. Our older two are both boys and actually shared a bedroom until last summer when we decided they should have their own space. But they’re still always hanging out together no matter which room, except to sleep. They say they don’t mind sharing though DH is afraid that may change in a few years.

The main reasons we want to move are to have more living space and room for a third car as we’ll have teenage drivers soon.

So anyone else have three kids in a three bedroom? How do you arrange it? We’re looking at a house later today that has three bedrooms plus a bonus room (larger than the bedrooms but no closet) and trying to figure out if it would work for us. Even though we’d lose a bedroom it’s 400 sq feet bigger and solves the parking issue. Also DH needs some office space in one of the rooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slightly crunchy mama to three awesome monkeys

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I might be ok with not enough bedrooms but I’d want the option to add another somehow- finished basement, finished attic, that bonus room. Mine have no interest in sharing, especially as they get older.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

It really depends on the family. My kids each need their own room. The boys are 4 years apart and both have their own issues. They shared a room for a while because DS1 prefers not to sleep alone, but DS2 can’t handle DS1 in his space. DS1 is messy, the DS2 is neat and organized, and DS2 (autism) needs to have a space where he can go and be alone. Plus DS1 wakes up early and was waking DS2 up. We have the space, so it works out fine. DD is almost 16, so she obviously wouldn’t share a room with her little brothers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Can you use the bonus room as a bedroom? Or does your DH need that room for his office space? I would want a room per kid. But I wouldn't necessarily care if it was officially considered a bedroom.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would look at the house with the idea of using the bonus room as a bedroom and the bedroom as a home office/guest room.

The boys will need thier own space, but you can split the larger room with furniture (think back to back dressers and a folding screen, something like that.) Lack of closet space can be fixed with a standing wardrobe; boys tend to have little that truely needs to be hung up.

Another option is to put the boys in the master and take a smaller bedroom for the parents - though less popular!

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    Can you use the bonus room as a bedroom? Or does your DH need that room for his office space? I would want a room per kid. But I wouldn't necessarily care if it was officially considered a bedroom.
    Yes it could be bedroom with a few minor adjustments. If each kid gets their own room we’d have to get creative with DH ‘s space (section of the living room or something.)

That's probably something each family has to figure for their situation. At this stage, I don't think we would choose a home without a bedroom for each kid. It's nice for everyone to have their own space plus my kids seem to have more meaningful, personal belongings as they've gotten older. Is the bonus room a possibility?
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

I would go look at that house with a open mind. I would be ok with 3 bedrooms if that house had additional space from somewhere like bonus room, basement, finished attic etc to convert into spaces you need.

My house have a bedroom on first floor that could be used as 5th bedroom. Since we already have 4 bedrooms upstairs, the 5th is dedicated office room. We also have unfinished walk up attic we could also finish into dedicated space as well. So I would look at all options that house have, especially if your market is tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Throwing in my two cents, although we are still in our first house because we can't afford to move up. lol

I agree that I would probably go with a bedroom per kid. But I also have questions about your husband's office space needs. Is he working from home most of the week or just occasionally? Is there a chance he could be at home permanently? As someone who has been camped out at the end of her dining room table for close to two years now, I would love a room with a door and a window -- even if it was small. I'm just over home office/(whatever) life. I realize that adding more rooms adds more dollar signs, but just something to think about.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    I would look at the house with the idea of using the bonus room as a bedroom and the bedroom as a home office/guest room.

The boys will need thier own space, but you can split the larger room with furniture (think back to back dressers and a folding screen, something like that.) Lack of closet space can be fixed with a standing wardrobe; boys tend to have little that truely needs to be hung up.

Another option is to put the boys in the master and take a smaller bedroom for the parents - though less popular!
    These are definitely good options!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast