ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Any studies on reinfection from omnicron? Or how long immunity lasts after infection

Now that at least 3 out if 4 of our family has tested positive for Covid, I’m wondering how safe we are to get back to a more normal lifestyle. DD1 is itching to invite an unvaccinated friend over and do sleepovers with friends. I’m thinking maybe now is a good time for DH and I to go away for the weekend and leave the kids with his parents. We could eat in a restaurant any go to a movie (it’s been so long!) and maybe I wouldn’t have to worry about the kids catching Covid at school and passing it to grandparents. And I know they would enjoy not having to mask at school (it’s now optional, but they have been wearing masks regardless). Has there been any studies about catching omnicron twice? Or if there is immunity after? How safe are we if all boostered and most have had Covid? It actually wouldn’t surprise me if DH does have. it now with no symptoms (he’s planning on doing a rapid at home test this weekend).

The girls are pretty much over it (DD2 has a bit of congestion in her throat but that’s it). I am still wearing out easily, and have some congestion, mild headaches, and occasional tightness in my chest. Hopefully that goes away soon. DD1 asked me if I think I have long haul Covid since they are back to normal and I’m not yet, it’s not even been 10 days since I tested positive and only about 15 since first symptoms. Once I’m feeling more normal I’d like to do some things we haven’t had the chance to do for so long. But, case and hospitalizations still are not great here, so still highly community spread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was the subject of a post on Dear Pandemic this morning and also the NYT website today (or yesterday?) The takeaway I got was you probably have pretty good immunity after vaccination + breakthrough infection. It seems throwing all caution to the wind is really still not being encouraged, but if you think about it some people have done absolutely no risk minimization and yet somehow haven’t caught covid so who knows what would happen in any given situation. If I was leaving my kids with my parents, even if I thought they had good immunity I’d absolutely keep other layers of protection. I guess what I’d really want to know is not just what the chance that my immune system would keep me from getting sick is but also what the chance that my immune system would keep me from getting someone else sick is. Kind of like how we think the vaccine keeps people from needing hospitalization, but maybe not as good protection from becoming infected. If your newfound “immunity” is the type that will keep you from coming down with serious covid, but still possible to catch and transmit then I wouldn’t feel comfortable with much of what you describe.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

Anecdotal evidence but DD said her friend had it twice! She got it and gave it to her whole family one by one (they were trying to be safe so it moved slowly), and the she got it again once it had cycled through everyone.

But I Think you are safe for now to do things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Any studies on reinfection from omnicron? Or how long immunity lasts after infection

I would do things but continue to wear a mask. We’ve eaten indoors and gone to a movie and worn KN95. DS wears a KF94 and I wear a N95 at - school, the school positivity rate is about 11%

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Can’t find studies, but hearing there are anecdotal reports of repeat Omicron infection (getting Omicron 2x) in both SA and the UK. Not sure if that relates to the new sub variant of Omicron or not.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I am not waiting for studies at this point. It’s constantly changing and you really have to make a risk assessment as the situation evolves. For me, we are ready to go back fo normal life. I am not going to worry about it getting it again. It’s going to continue being out there but I’m going to trust our immune systems will handle it when we need to. We will continue to use common sense and kindness. I have always been really careful about keeping my kids home when sick to protect others and will continue to do so. (I have always really felt like the minority with that). But we aren’t putting our lives on pause any longer. It’s been two years. I’m done.