Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Need ideas for DS18th bday

DS1 is turning 18 soon. He is a very low key kid, doesn't need or want any new electronics, and got some new clothes for Christmas already. For Christmas he said he couldn't think of anything he wanted other than maybe stuff for the dorm since he'll be moving to college in 6 months. We don't know where yet so I hesitate to get stuff now (and the universal stuff isn't a great gift- here honey, have some power strips and command hooks and bath towels! Lol.) I asked what he wants to do for his birthday and he said he's happy that he's going to winter formal (it's 2 days before his birthday, first high school dance, first girlfriend...) And we got him a new suit etc and paid for the dance ticket. But this all feels anticlimactic. He doesn't like being center of attention, doesn't want a party... He's graduating in 4 months so he'll be getting gifts for that too... Other than a largish sum of money, I just have no ideas. Any suggestions??

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Can you pay for an outing somewhere for him and some friends? Arcade, bowling, mini golf, restaurants…?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

firstbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Something nice he could use for the dance but also special as a young adult - watch or leather wallet?

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBoo View Post
    DS1 is turning 18 soon. He is a very low key kid, doesn't need or want any new electronics, and got some new clothes for Christmas already. For Christmas he said he couldn't think of anything he wanted other than maybe stuff for the dorm since he'll be moving to college in 6 months. We don't know where yet so I hesitate to get stuff now (and the universal stuff isn't a great gift- here honey, have some power strips and command hooks and bath towels! Lol.) I asked what he wants to do for his birthday and he said he's happy that he's going to winter formal (it's 2 days before his birthday, first high school dance, first girlfriend...) And we got him a new suit etc and paid for the dance ticket. But this all feels anticlimactic. He doesn't like being center of attention, doesn't want a party... He's graduating in 4 months so he'll be getting gifts for that too... Other than a largish sum of money, I just have no ideas. Any suggestions??

Oh my gosh, you are giving me heart palpitations. I hadn’t given it a lick of thought to a graduation gift and thats coming up soon for us. Our senior turned 18 last summer but it was kind of anticlimactic because we were out of town touring colleges for him. Also, he had another year of school left. I think we got him a tool he asked for, I can’t remember. I’m guessing for your son who’s about to leave home and is dating would appreciate cash, if he hasn’t asked for something in particular.

I suspect we will have cash as a graduation gift. Although, our son is obsessed with blacksmithing in the backyard so he might ask for more tools, hard to know.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Can you pay for an outing somewhere for him and some friends? Arcade, bowling, mini golf, restaurants…?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    I asked him if he wanted to do something with friends and he said not really- his friends are pretty flaky, he doesn't want to plan anything, and I always encourage him to attend any social outing with his friends already. He's been doing these types of things with his girlfriend recently.

Quote Originally Posted by firstbaby View Post
    Something nice he could use for the dance but also special as a young adult - watch or leather wallet?
    I love the thought behind these types of gifts but he's tough. We got him a wallet for Christmas, he's very casual/low key, hates dressing up, studies a lot...

To complicate matters, hes on the varsity team for tennis and the season is just gearing up so his free time is extremely limited these days. He also made it clear he doesn't plan to play in college (except for fun) so he really doesn't need a new racket or gear.
    It's so nice to have a teen who is content with what he has and where he is, but it makes it hard to do something big for him.

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Honestly cash or maybe gift cards are a great gift because he may not know what he wants/needs for college until after he gets there.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

In your case I would plan a surprise family dinner at one of his favorite places, including dessert. I would also buy him some of his favorite candies, a book, and an IOU for a sweatshirt from the school he ends up choosing. He sounds like a great kid.
    K

Cash is always good. Does he need any luggage? Does he have a vehicle he needs any accessories for?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast