Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    WatchingThemGrow is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default What do you do for colon health? (gross, TMI)

Around age 47, I started noticing that my body was processing stuff differently. Also started drinking Starbucks via coffee packets (1/2 of one per day) and a time of constipation started...and has been going on for several years now. I've stopped drinking coffee, but it hasn't changed. One DS had the whole encopresis thing many years ago, and it lasted many years...but he finally cleared up. My GP said that I should just use Miralax daily. When turning 50 last year and getting my first colonoscopy, they said I should do the 3 day clean out. Wow. It was great to lose all that. The GI doc noted I had a redundant colon but everything was fine. But it's been a year with daily miralax and semi-regular 4-6 dose events on some weekends, and things aren't getting better. Whenever I eat a meal, it pretty much stays with me until I have the multi-dose event. My pants don't fit because my tummy is shaped differently and bending is hard/uncomfortable.

I've asked my doc about it every time I've been there. I messaged online last week that I'd like a referral to a GI, but her nurse sent a message that I need to schedule an appt. We've talked about this 3+ times, so I'm frustrated that she wants me to come in again about it...but I guess that's all I can do.

In the meantime, what tricks do you guys have? I use the 10-strain probiotics, sometimes fiber gummies, sometimes prunes, most of the time 30 min of walking, and what I think is a lot of water. What other things should I be trying to get my system moving again on its own? It feels crazy to be so dependent on Miralax, with an occasional laxative pill to make things move.

We could be twins! I am 56 and have a redundant colon and have had IBS with constipation my adult life. Here is what I do every day:
    1. Breakfast is a packet of Quaker high fiber oatmeal and a cup of non fat greek yogurt. Plus a 16 oz cafe au lait
    2. Lunch is a salad-plenty of greens (usually a greek salad with grilled chicken, some feta cheese, some olives and light dressing)
    3. Dinner is meat with veggies.
    4. one gallon of water--every day as a MINIMUM. If I work out, I drink more
    5. 4-6 work outs a week--at least an hour each of good, sweaty exercise

Then I play with:
    1. Miralax: a double dose every other day until I start to go in a couple of days. (I don't do multi dose events)
    2. 3 stool softener pills every other day until I start to go.
    3. I will go for about a week and then start the miralax again.
    4. Sometimes I have a Fiber One bar for a snack but that causes a lot of gas

Just this weekend, I had Bob Red Mill oatmeal with chia seeds and flax. Wow. I am looking at buying some chia seeds. I have tried natural calm (magnesium), magnesium tablets, probiotics. nope, nope, nope. Don't do stimulant laxatives because you become dependent on them. Miralax is ok.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My system has always run slow, my whole life. Doesn't matter how much fiber I eat. What changed my life completely has been Natural Calm, which I first heard about years ago here in the BBB. Not only did it revolutionize my sleep but it keeps me completely regular.
    Granted I gave up soda as a teenager, and I don't drink any coffee due to a caffeine allergy, so the only things I drink are water and herbal tea (with a very occasional small alcoholic drink). Have you tried Natural calm?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Natural calm/magnesium in general has been good for my family too. The other thing that I really like is....a complete surprise.....the Biocleanse herbal supplement from Plexus.
    I typically roll my eyes at MLM stuff but my friend gave me a bottle to try and it is so amazing at keeping me regular! And I kind of hate that, because MLM....
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

WatchingThemGrow is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I haven’t tried (or heard of) Natural Calm! I knew BBB would have some tricks. Do you buy the raspberry lemon one or the probiotic for gut health? Keep the tips and commiseration coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have issues very sporadically but drink 2 cups of Green Tea with caffeine every morning and that gets things moving for me. Not sure if it is the tea or caffeine. I drink it plain and have never been a coffee drinker so not sure how it compares.

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    I haven’t tried (or heard of) Natural Calm! I knew BBB would have some tricks. Do you buy the raspberry lemon one or the probiotic for gut health? Keep the tips and commiseration coming!

I always buy the raspberry lemon powder. I've tried another flavor (can't remember which one) and didn't like it. DS2 takes the gummies- he likes raspberry lemon and orange flavors but the gummies have a strange smell/taste that I can't tolerate so I stick with powder. Costco has had the big tub for the best price for a while, but before that I was getting it from Amazon. I recommend you take it for a week or two before judging if it's working. I take one slightly rounded scoop in about half cup of water, usually about 9pm. If I take a larger dose, my need to use the restroom in the morning is a little more immediate. But if I feel sluggish, I up the dose a little to get things moving.
    My MIL takes medications that slow things down so she's been taking Natural Calm for years too and swears by it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

I have tried soooo many things. I have noticed (and someone on the BBB mentioned this too) that my migraines are sometimes triggered by constipation. I have always had problems, and now I'm completely terrified because my Dad's colon twisted last April, resulting in emergency surgery to remove 18 inches. His sister was once so impacted that she had to have surgery to remove it. In both instances, they had ileus for almost a week, which was excruciating to watch.

I was so miserable yesterday that I took 3 magnesium glycinate pills and ate way too many (I thought) prunes. That resulted in a small bit of movement at 3 AM, and not much since then. I usually have a BM about 2-3 times per week. My Dr. wanted me to take 3 magnesium glycinate per day for the migraines, but that resulted in "GET OUTTA MY WAY, I GOTTA GO!!!" episodes almost every day, which is not feasible when trying to teach. I've cut it back to 2 per day during the week, 3 per day on the weekends if I remember. The problem is that long term use can also lead to osteoporosis, which also runs in the family.

Things that I don't like: benefiber - causes gas, stimulants - not good for long term use, miralax - don't like the consistency of the movement, prunes - calories I don't need.

I think probiotics might have helped a little, but they're so expensive and I really doubt their ability to pass through the stomach and not get destroyed by acid. I do drink a TON of water, but I also start the day with coffee and end the day with a glass of wine or whiskey. I have found that if I take a stool softener daily, it does help a bit. I need to play around with them more. I too have mentioned this problem several times to my doctor, and she blows me off and talked about my headaches (which I appreciate, but I think the constipation is being ignored).

You have no idea how much I'm looking forward to the replies on this thread. Thank you!!!!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default What do you do for colon health? (gross, TMI)

I am 44 and have been slow my whole life. I have been gluten free at times as well (it was essentially required for about a two year span between the time I was 26 and 28, but when I got pregnant with DD1 a lot of the symptoms on IBS-C went away), but tbh even when I am gluten free I don’t feel great and still have issues with IBS-C and finding enough fiber and still having to take sugar free Citrucel so I usually eat some high fiber only bread and high fiber pasta (currently two slices of Dave’s Killer Bread thin sliced 21 grain bread or Oroweat’s version, but I prefer DKB). I have tried psyllium husks, Miralax (it gives me awful gas…..I know they say it isn’t supposed to, but for me it does…..I have never completed a full clean out because the gas pain is just too much). Within the last month I started taking Garden of Life Women’s 16 strain Probiotic (I accidentally took two of these a day for about 10 days because I didn’t read the canister right and boy did it kick things into high gear, but have since gone back to one a day), Thorne Calcium Glucarate, Smoky Mountain Naturals DIM, and a large spoonful of Citrucel. I have also taken Natual Calm as well and for a time I was seeing a faster move with that in my system but things had slowed back to down a month or two ago prior to starting the Calcium Glucarate, DIM, and the new probiotic I didn’t think it was working as well as it used to so I haven’t taken it in about a month and a half. I was taking 2 tsp.; I might need to up the dose again even though the suggested dose is 1.5 tsp. I also take a multi vitamins (right now it is iron free gummy multi vites because DD2 didn’t like them), VitaminC tablets 500 x2, Bluebonnet Evening Primrose Oil (1300mg), Pure Encapsulations Zinc, Jarrow Biotin, Carlson’s Vitamin D 4000iu, and Thorne Quercetin. I just added the zinc and the glucetin after Dh came down with Covid and it was recommended by a few posters here (from a list of vitamins to take to maybe avoid Covid). Since starting the Calcium Glucarate I feel less bloated and while I haven’t lost much weight my clothes are definitely fitting better especially in the stomach area.

Last edited by AnnieW625; 01-25-2022 at 06:06 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

I too have had constipation issues for many years, and have tried many, many different things. The only thing that has worked really well for me the past few years has been to start each morning with a small bowl of All Bran Buds with milk. It can’t be any other form (flakes or bars), and it can’t be another brand of cereal. Has to be ALL BRAN and has to be the BUDS.

When I go one morning without my All Bran Buds, I REALLY notice a difference. I even take a box with me whenever I travel- I’m always afraid that the country, city, hotel or grocery store where I am going won’t have my Buds, and I don’t want to suffer the consequences!! My family laughs at me, but you gotta do what works!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kellogg-s...7?athbdg=L1200
    Last edited by mm123; 01-24-2022 at 08:49 PM.
    DD1 '08
    DD2 '10

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast