Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default International travel - anyone going in March?

We’re considering traveling internationally in March. Wondering if anyone else is pondering the same? Thoughts? We haven’t traveled since the start of the pandemic. I’m torn between international or just visiting national parks in the U.S. What are your spring break plans?

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Our spring break is the first week in April. We have a trip planned to Portugal, avoiding Lisbon, etc in favor of small cities with lots of outdoor options...and a backup trip planned in Florida (we stay north of Miami and stick outdoors - same trip we did last spring).

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have a solo trip to meet up with some friends in Berlin the end of March. I really hope it happens. My biggest fear is testing positive and not being able to fly home on time. But our family spring break in April is Disney because we canceled a trip that was supposed to take place a week ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We are not but some things to think about as I know some who have dealt with this and also read Trip Advisor travel forums often. Rules for entry are different for every country and change often. Being able to be flexible is key. My BFF was going to Portugal through Germany and they were cleared to leave US but literally while they were on flight Portugal changed their rules so when the landed in Frankfurt they had to return to the US (this was in 2020). Twice families we know from school (one in Italy and one in France) tested positive before returning and one was an adult so adult stayed and rest of family left but one was a child so child and 1 adult stayed while rest of family returned. Some countries have hotels that are designated where you have to complete quarantine. Be prepared for all scenarios and make sure you are able to 1) take more time away from work/school and 2) pay for quarantine. Beware that travel insurance only covers you if you test positive. So if you have a child that tests positive then they are covered but the adult that needs to stay with them is not and will have to pay out of pocket. Also, I have read that the max provided by many travel insurance policies does not fully cover the expenses.

That said, there are certainly plenty of people who are traveling and have no issues. The CEO of my company just spent 5 weeks in the US and Mexico from another country and had no issues. I think you just need to be flexible, make sure everything is refundable and have a plan for how to handle if someone gets sick or tests positive.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Not until June but looking at all the Covid requirements makes my head spin. I decided not to look until closer to travel since rules change so much.

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Not until April because we are skiing in Montana for spring break, but I'm planning on both a late April and a mid-June to mid-July trip to Portugal.

ETA: I did travel to Portugal in September and to Costa Rica in December and both times, although you definitely need to have a flexible mindset and be prepared for all the extra requirements, it was totally fine and smooth. And wonderful to travel further afield again!

Not this spring because we have a sports tournament over spring break this year but I have two weeks blocked off this summer for travel. I was originally planning for Spain and Portugal but then I got cold feet. Hoping to feel more confident about traveling abroad but I think it can definitely be done. My only fear is testing positive while traveling and needing to figure out quarantine.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

We have no plans outside the country.
    I have a friend who travels frequently, and has traveled probably monthly since she got vaccinated. She was supposed to go to Portugal at the end of April but she just told me last night that she canceled her trip and will not be traveling out of the country until travel rules are lifted when this is over (hopefully someday). She is a doctor and can't afford to get a positive on departure and be stuck in a country under quarantine, unable to get home.
    So, if you do travel outside the country I'd say you have to be prepared for the "what if". If you can manage staying an extra 10 days, then go for it.

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Just went to Spain. Happy to answer questions if you are still considering traveling internationally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Yes, we have a trip to Barcelona and Madrid planned for the last week of March, during our kids’ spring break.

DH and DS are taking a very quick one week trip to Asia next week to attend a family wedding. I’m concerned that they could catch COVID and have to quarantine there for another week. From what we are hearing folks there aren’t masking anymore.
    Last edited by baymom; 02-24-2022 at 12:03 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast