Thread: Concussion help

petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Concussion help

My 10 yr started complaining of a headache around 4 today, then he ate about 2 bites of dinner at 6 and threw up. He only threw up the once but said his head still didn't feel the greatest when he fell asleep around 9. He was also complaining that we were being too loud it hurt his head.

My first thought, of course, is covid but he had it back in the first week of December. Not sure which variant though. So definitely still a possibility.

After he fell asleep I remembered that he had a fall at ice skating lessons yesterday morning. He had a helmet on but his helmet did hit the ice and I can't verify that the helmet was tight enough/ on exactly right to prevent an injury. So now I'm worried about a concussion!
    He seemed fine all day yesterday, but we had family visiting that we don't normally see and I don't know if he would have told me if he was feeling sick.

How long should I be on concussion watch?
    Last edited by petesgirl; 01-24-2022 at 01:32 AM.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would consider Covid as well. You definitely can get it more than once, and a few people have gotten the same variant more than once.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My guess is covid. Early Dec was probably Delta, as omicron didn’t take off until later in the month.

I would touch base with your Pediatrician. Concussions don’t always need the head to take the impact but can be caused by the strength of the head being jarred on impact. It would likely have to be significant impact though. I’m guessing that from an ice skating lesson that might be unlikely unless he hit into something but a quick convo with your pediatrician might help

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

There is a standard concussion evaluation so it would be easy to rule in or out. I would probably try to schedule that and a Covid test too.

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    There is a standard concussion evaluation so it would be easy to rule in or out. I would probably try to schedule that and a Covid test too.
    Yes to that. My DS2 is coming out of concussion protocol after a witnessed hit and the ensuing obvious symptoms but I've know several kids where the concussion was barely detected. A headache complaint a day or so later and then testing picked up on it. It's worth having him evaluated for a concussion and covid IMO.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Agreed with PP. My DS1 got a concussion and he was woozy at first then seemed fine until a day and a half later.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Ok, I have an appt for him with the pediatrician later today. His eyes are dilating fine with light, as far as I can tell. They can also test for COVID in their office. Thanks!
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm glad you're getting it checked! That will be a comfort. DS3 has had 2 concussions from seriously running into his brother both times. They're both extremely active and there is only so much protection I can provide inside my own home. I am always a little nervous about him. He's only ten but he doesn't have any lasting effects. I just feel like he needs to be even more careful to reduce further head trauma (no football for him!)