Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Utah National Parks in March

I’m toying with taking a trip to see National Parks in March. I would love to head to Utah. We’re coming from NY so think we would fly in and out of Las Vegas. Please share any recommendations you have.

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

What type of lodging are you looking for? And what types of activities do you most enjoy? Ages of kids? How many days?

Quote Originally Posted by marinkitty View Post
    What type of lodging are you looking for? And what types of activities do you most enjoy? Ages of kids? How many days?
    Kids and I usually do simple accommodations. DH will be traveling with us for this so lodging can’t be too rustic. 14 yo and 12 yo kids. We like easier hikes, good food, bakeries, bookstores, seeing wildlife, sunsets, sunrises. With Covid we would like to keep to outside activities as much as possibles

petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

You may need reservations to some of them. I think Zion NP is requiring them, and Arches in Moab is going to start soon as well.

ETA: it looks just some of the hikes are requiring advanced reservations.
    Last edited by petesgirl; 01-24-2022 at 02:40 PM.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Here is my trip report on Zion with teens. If you go to this and then click on my user name, you can see all of my trip reports. I have one for every NP in Utah. It has info on lodging, dining, hikes, and activities.
    https://www.fodors.com/community/uni...eport-1673282/

Arches is now on a reservation system. Not sure about Zion. Canyonlands, Bryce, and Capital Reef are all still good to go.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Default Utah National Parks in March

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    Here is my trip report on Zion with teens. If you go to this and then click on my user name, you can see all of my trip reports. I have one for every NP in Utah. It has info on lodging, dining, hikes, and activities.
    https://www.fodors.com/community/uni...eport-1673282/

Arches is now on a reservation system. Not sure about Zion. Canyonlands, Bryce, and Capital Reef are all still good to go.
    Thank you - I will look through your trip reports. It looks like the Arches reservations are for April through October. I wonder if they would add reservations later for March?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

gobadgers is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We went to Arches and Canyonlands over spring break a few years ago, and it was one of everyone's all time favorite trips! The weather is great that time of year. We ended up staying in a 'tiny home' AirBnB in Moab. I got the impression that lodging was at a premium in Moab - it was comfortable but tiny (of course) and expensive.

I don't know what the situation is as far as reservations now, but if you can, I'd recommend reserving a time to go to the Fiery Furnace section of Arches NP. Even when we went pre-COVID, it was required to make a reservation for this section of the park. But it was definitely worth it! The kids loved being able to go in any direction they wanted, and it was kind of magical to come around a corner and find an unexpected arch.

We flew in and out of Salt Lake CIty and stopped a few other places on the way down and back. I think it's a bit of a drive from any major airport.
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

I don't think they will add more time to the months that need reservations. Those really are the prime months. The Salt Lake School District has the last week of March off, so hopefully that is not the same as your break because it will get really crowded. I second getting reservations for the Fiery Furnace hike--lots of fun!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

I think we’re going to attempt this for spring break. Yikes! Need to start planning. Looking at 9 days flying in and out of Las Vegas. Will that be enough time to see all 5 parks? If not, on which do you recommend we concentrate? Anything else we should see on the way over or back? Lodging recommendations? Favorite hikes? Favorite restaurants?

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    I think we’re going to attempt this for spring break. Yikes! Need to start planning. Looking at 9 days flying in and out of Las Vegas. Will that be enough time to see all 5 parks? If not, on which do you recommend we concentrate? Anything else we should see on the way over or back? Lodging recommendations? Favorite hikes? Favorite restaurants?
    Hop over to www.fodors.com and go to the Forums for the US and then Utah. You will see a ton of queries for info just like you are asking. There is a fairly standard loop that people do. You may not do all 5 in one trip. Not if you want to hike and get out of the car to see things and take some down time, etc. Fly in and out of Vegas puts you close to Zion, Bryce, and Capital Reef. Add in Snow Canyon State Park, some time in Grand Staircase National Monument (Escalante) and that could easily eat up 9 days. Remember that distances are long, the roads are not super highways, and you really should not drive after dark. (you miss the amazing scenery, but more importantly, there are lots of animals out--including free range cows--and you don't want to hit one in the dark!!)

All of my recommendations are in all of my trip reports--which are all posted in the Fodors Forum website. (no I don't work for Fodors, :-) I just have used those boards for many years to research trips and I find them to be highly valuable)
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast