Default Rapid Antigen Test Interpretation Question

Am I correct in my understanding that testing positive on a rapid antigen test means there is a decent chance you can infect other people, as opposed to testing positive on a PCR which can stay positive for weeks/months and doesn’t necessarily mean anything in terms of infectiousness?

Asking because I got a positive PCR last Tuesday and today was the day I was supposed to be able to switch from isolation to just wearing a mask, but I took a rapid test this morning and it was positive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Theoretically, yes. And if the line shows up faster/darker you are theoretically even more contagious.

Hugs to you, hope it's super mild!!

Yes, that is correct.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yes, rapids are a good indicator you still have viral load. This describes it in more detail:

https://yourlocalepidemiologist.subs...eal-world-data

Anecdotally all of my local friends and coworkers with breakthrough infections have tested positive on rapids past day 5, most until day 7 or 8.

Default Rapid Antigen Test Interpretation Question

Thanks everyone! I didn’t run the test myself, I went to a local drive through place that only does rapids, so I don’t know what the line looked like. I will do another in a couple of days. I had a slightly runny nose and a brief headache, but nothing that would have made me think I needed to test if DD hadn’t already been positive.

Glad I made the decision to teach my classes virtually this week.

DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Kind of a spin off, if I test positive on a rapid, does that mean I have enough virus in my system to test positive on a PCR? I need a positive PCR for work purposes. I’m already positive on a rapid test.

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    Kind of a spin off, if I test positive on a rapid, does that mean I have enough virus in my system to test positive on a PCR? I need a positive PCR for work purposes. I’m already positive on a rapid test.
    Yes, PCRs are more sensitive so it should also be positive.

DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    Yes, PCRs are more sensitive so it should also be positive.

Great! Thank you!

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    Oh I’m sorry! You tested negative so many times I was hoping you were in the clear

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    Oh I’m sorry! You tested negative so many times I was hoping you were in the clear

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    This is round 2! My son and I returned to school last Tuesday. By Friday night he was positive. He got it from school as that is the only place he has been since we went in winter break and our numbers at school are really high. He was kind enough to share his germs with me. So now we are out again!