firstbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Any positive or negative experiences w Progressive Insurance?

We are shopping for new auto insurance and Progressive is the front runner right now. Any experiences?

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

A friend switched, and it was huge savings (like over 1000 a year less for auto for their family), sadly their first experience with claim was a pain as they don't have a local agent.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Progressive compleately screwed me over.

I was traveling cross-country with my boyfriend (at the time). Because we were driving so far, I asked about getting him added temporarily to my insurance so he could legally drive my car on the trip if needed. They said no problem and did so. It almost doubled my monthly rate (we were both very young, under 25).

When we got back, I called to have him removed and go down to the lower rate I'd had before the trip. They told me that because we lived at the same address, they would not do it. I lived in a boarding house! There were eighteen of us! My driver's license said apartment 8, his said apartment 11. They knew this because we had to fax copies of driver's license to add him in the first place. (We met at the house's common space.) Progressive told me that I had to add every driver at my address, because they had "access" to my car. They said add them within 30 days or you're canceled. Period. Could not get them to see logic and had to scramble. This was many years ago, but I'd never go there again.

ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We had them several years ago and had claims on both vehicles for hail damage. It was super easy to deal with them. We then switched to Geico for awhile but are now back with Progressive and the only issue we’ve had was when DH’s truck slid on ice on our sloped driveway overnight and hit a tree. They decided it was an at fault claim because there was no way to determine that he hadn’t driven it into the tree. He wasn’t very happy about that but at the time we were limited in agencies that would take us at an affordable rate with his driving record (he had several tickets close to each other) so we are still with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

following! I also am looking to switch, but am not sure who to go to!

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We've used AMICA for our entire adult lives, so no specific info on Progressive from a personal point of view. However, I think Clark Howard generally has pretty good info on insurers. https://clark.com/insurance/car-insu...nce-companies/ From what I can see here, it may depend on the region of the country that you're in as to how well Progressive is thought of.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)