niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default How do this work ..

We took my car to our mechanic to get the catalytic converter that was stolen, replaced rather than go to an authorized mechanic -that was a mistake! Mechanic is great but navigating car insurance has been a nightmare. So the insurance is redoing the estimate they messed up (listed a part that’s illegal to use in CA), and said they’ll send a check. Do we pay mechanic and they send a check to us to reimburse us, or does the check get sent to the mechanic? What happens if we have to get a different part that costs less? Mechanic is requesting OEM catalytic converter but Honda has none due to supply issues. We may put in an after market one instead just to get car back on the road. But the after market is $600 cheaper. Do we then pay back the insurance company if part costs less?

And yes I could call and ask insurance company, but every phone call has me on hold for over an hour! Next time we ever need work done that insurance pays, we’ll go to one of their authorized shops. We did that for body work after reared ended and it was soooo much easier

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default How do this work ..

Can you take the car to the authorized mechanic now? I would eat the costs that it cost you to use your private mechanic and just start the process new with the insurance. If the insurance covers this and there are no catalytic converters they will either approve the $600 less part or they will wait for the OEM part and they should provide you with a rental car while the car is being repaired.

That is the opinion of an insurance adjuster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 01-25-2022 at 01:16 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Can you take the car to the authorized mechanic now? I would eat the costs that it cost you to use your private mechanic and just start the process new with the insurance. If the insurance covers this and there are no catalytic converters they will either approve the $600 less part or they will wait for the OEM part and they should provide you with a rental car while the car is being repaired.

That is the opinion of an insurance adjuster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We may need to take it to an authorized shop. Our mechanic agrees it’s been a PITA to deal with insurance company, so he’s ok with not fixing it. We did just get the supplemental request submitted, so we will see if they approve it. If not, we’ll move it to an authorized shop. I’ve been driving a rental and nearly out of my full rental amount for this claim. I’ll have to see if car insurance will extend the rental time. If not, I’ll be driving DS’s car. Hopefully, they’ll approve either the OEM or the after market this week so we can get something done

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains