Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If his teeth are really impacted, then I would recommend anesthesia. What really stands out to me is his anxiety. If he's already had a difficult time with MRI he might do better being sedated. It's not a super pleasant procedure, so sounds or sensations may make him really anxious.

My DS just had his remaining teeth pulled and they were deep and difficult to remove. He's got a pretty high pain tolerance, but he was in agony within a short time afterwards. Definitely get those pain meds ASAP just in case he's in pain.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I agree with the PP who says it depends on what needs to be done.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I'm in the it depends camp.

For myself, when I had mine out, the dentist said he could easily get two but the other two would be problematic due to how the jaw muscle was, and he'd recommend going to the oral surgeon and going under for those.

So, I went under for them all.

I would think they wouldn't recommend local unless it was a good possibility for him?

But, if he's pushing for local over their professional judgment, then I'd worry! Is your insurance such that the price difference is huge?

m4nash is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I had mine out with a local when I was 14 years old and I don't remember it being traumatic.

DH had his out with a local at 30 years old and he was fine too.

That said, what did the dentist recommend if cost were not a factor? I wouldn't do local if it wasn't a simple procedure and recommended by the dentist.

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I asked this question last year because our insurance wouldn't cover it either, and got a unaimous "don't do it!" Will try to find the post. My DD just had hers removed under general anaethesia in a oral surgery center, and it went really well. She didn't take any post-op pain meds and healed up very fast. It wasn't covered by our insurance but our plan includes an HSA so we just took the funds from there. Well worth it.

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Here's the previous post. Also I misspelled unanimous up above!

https://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sh...33#post4371633

I had all 4 done with just a local and I was fine. Nothing traumatic t all. Traumatic was years later during a root canal when I told them I needed 2 shots of novocaine and they said one was enough. The novocaine wore off during the procedure and I ended up fainting from the pain.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2