Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

17 and I was reluctant to do that it would have been a hard no at 16
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks all. You've confirmed what my gut was saying...too young still. But I needed you all to validate that I'm not a crazy helicopter parent on this one because sometimes I feel like I'm way more cautious than others.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I haven’t yet. My oldest is definitely able but it hasn’t come up and I wouldn’t leave him in charge of the other 2 overnight (DS3 specifically) But on his own and maybe on his own with DS2, I think they could handle it.

Being able to drive would probably be important to me.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'd say 16, both my kids are very independent and have no concerns being on their own. Although DS is 15 (will be 16 in March), he stayed on his own one night in Dec when DD and I were out of town. He had hockey the next morning out of town and needed a good nights sleep (his dad/XH lives in a apt and there's no place for him to sleep and it's not always quiet/thin walls), so he stayed home. We have lived here for 15 years, on a quiet cul de sac, neighbors on both sides knew he was on his own and he has their numbers. His dad lives 2 miles away. He made his own dinner and was happy to be able to be loud playing NHL on his xbox.

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default What age do you leave your kids alone overnight?

We haven’t and DS is 17. Not because we don’t think he could be alone, it just hasn’t come up. DH and I may need to book a night away

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 01-28-2022 at 01:05 AM.

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DDs are 18 and 16 and I can't bring myself to do it. It's not that I don't trust them... but I don't trust them lol. Or the "just a few" friends they'd invite over which would lead to a raging party. They both claim this never happens but I've seen enough 80s movies to know it does. And it doesn't even have to be a huge party for things to go off the rails.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

Kindra178 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post
    We did 2 nights at 17.5, by himself. Then at 18 and 16 for the two together. Both can drive and we have family nearby.

At 13 and 15, I would not do overnight. I might let them stay at home all day, but at night, go to grandparents or friends.
    This, and I am pretty liberal about this. I would need a driver in the house, at a minimum. Just arrange sleepovers for each of them.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

For me, overnight requires 18+. Ignoring the possibility of an unauthorized house party, murphy's law says this will be the time when something major goes wrong that wouldnt be catastrophic if there is an adult in the house. Furnace goes out, attempted break in, power outtage, plumbing problem whatever. I also worry about what happens if you cant get back as expected. Car accident, storm whatever. Since you have the grandparents nearby, maybe someone can drive them there at dinner?
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

mine are almost 16 and 14 and we're still having a grandparent actually stay the night (but not feeling like they need to be around all day). That seems to be working well. They grab takeout for everyone for supper but otherwise they do their own thing and leave the kids alone. My ILS live next door but it's usually my parents (who don't have a dog) who come over and sleep in our room.
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3