Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default PSA: Mammograms & Covid

Just a friendly reminder that if you are due for a mammogram, make that appointment. I know there has been reports about having covid or the covid vaccine and mammograms showing possible masses on imaging, which later turn out to be benign lymph node swelling. Or, just postponing screening to avoid contact with possible covid exposure.

I just came back from a breast ultrasound after my routine mammogram showed a "mass" (per the report). It was just a small enlarged lymph node, Thank God (same side as my booster 8 weeks ago). The doctor stated that they are aware of covid/covid vaccines (like any vaccine) affecting lymph nodes temporarily. She emphatically stated they DO NOT RECOMMEND WAITING for your routine mammogram. She said they would rather do additional testing versus missing a cancer early on.

Anyway, it's been a stressful couple of weeks for me, but just wanted to encourage you not to put it off.

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I was actually turned away from getting my mammogram since I had just had the Covid booster. Their policy is if you've had the Covid vaccine/booster then you must
    wait 6 weeks to get your mammogram. No one told me this when I scheduled my mammogram. So I'm standing in the room with my shirt off and the imaging person asks
    me if I've had the Covid vaccine or booster within the last 6 weeks. I said yes. She said then we cannot do your mammogram. I wasn't very happy.
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I was actually turned away from getting my mammogram since I had just had the Covid booster. Their policy is if you've had the Covid vaccine/booster then you must
    wait 6 weeks to get your mammogram. No one told me this when I scheduled my mammogram. So I'm standing in the room with my shirt off and the imaging person asks
    me if I've had the Covid vaccine or booster within the last 6 weeks. I said yes. She said then we cannot do your mammogram. I wasn't very happy.
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I go to a renowned breast imaging clinic (the first breast clinic opened in the US!) and they strongly urge patients to keep their appointments with no delays due to recent (recovered) covid infection or vaccine/booster. They said they are very familiar with lymph node swelling from any vaccine and it will not impact screening.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Corie View Post
    Fortunately, I didn’t get as far as the "shirt off" stage — the scheduler grilled me about exactly when I had my booster, and refused to schedule the mammogram until at least 6 weeks had elapsed.

Interesting how different places do this differently. I go to an academic medical center that has always been adamant about following the evidence. But I suspect that in this case, the evidence is still not all that clear.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Corie View Post
    I don't think this is a hard and fast rule, because I received my booster in late November and had my mammogram in mid December. Thankfully was clear, and I am 6 years after breast cancer treatment.

So please ask and don't delay. I am a BC survivor and delay of my mammogram in the past led to my tumor being much larger than it should have been.

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

removing duplicate post

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Yeah, I was supposed to get mine at the end of last year, but it got cancelled because I had a COVID booster due and now they keep telling me I'm late. So now I need to reschedule.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Another thing - at least where I am, there is a long wait to get it! You'll want to schedule well in advance of when you want to get in, they are so backed up. When I called, the next open day was sixteen WEEKS away.

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    Fortunately, I didn’t get as far as the "shirt off" stage — the scheduler grilled me about exactly when I had my booster, and refused to schedule the mammogram until at least 6 weeks had elapsed.

Interesting how different places do this differently. I go to an academic medical center that has always been adamant about following the evidence. But I suspect that in this case, the evidence is still not all that clear.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    Also, some places/doctors of course are all for additional imaging or procedures that increases their billing and ends up being unnecessary. A combo of "CYA" medicine and plus get some additional procedures to bill is very much alive and well in medicine in this country. (I work in a practice with multiple different doctors and they all have very different opinions on what is 'necessary' and when additional testing is warranted.)
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast