Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Podcast/audiobook recommendations

Any great podcasts for my elementary kids, particularly 10 year old DS?

I bought season passes for skiing this year, but the mountain is a 3 hour drive away. DS gets car sick easily (to the point of throwing up) so can't read/watch tablet/play games. He really hates the car ride.

He loves history, so we've done some podcasts by History Chicks and some Stuff You Missed in History Class, but some of the topics aren't as interesting to him. He also told me he's interested in famous murders (sigh) but I think for those the more remote in history the better so as to not be too scary for DD.

He also loves Fortnite so if anyone has listened to a Fortnite podcast and can recommend that, please let me know

What do your kids like?
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I really like Aaron Mahnke’s Cabinet of Curiosities. Unfortunately, they’re each pretty short, but there’s a lot of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I saved Cautionary Tales with Tim Harford somewhere along the way, but I haven’t tried it yet so I don’t know how good it is or kid friendly. But it might be what you’re looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My daughter is really into https://tinkercast.com/shows/who-when-wow/ although there aren't that many episodes yet. She also likes Wow in the world (same producers), Brains On and Smash Boom Best. Both of my kids really enjoyed the Planet Money series geared towards kids, Million Bazillion.

Would you do audio books? My kids really enjoyed this series, and while it's not entirely focused on history, they travel around the country and so bits and pieces of history thrown in for their different destinations. The author has another series that sounds more history focused but we haven't tried it yet.

Editted to add that several of the "I survived <point in time>" series as also available as audio books. I don't particularly like listening to them, but my son is a big fan
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

Who, When, Wow

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Noble Blood is interesting. Discusses and debunks some of the long-held stories of various historical royals. It seems pretty PG, even though it is often discussing murderers, etc.

I haven't listened in a long time though, so maybe test one out first, I wasn't listening with kids in mind! There is no gratuitous gore though, or swearing, etc.

The episode The Blood Countess Elizabeth Bathory was good. They are pretty short - 45 minutes or so.

My boys like the Mobituaries pod cast a couple of years ago.

A few years ago we all listened to the Finishing School series of audio books. It was good summer roadtrip listening.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Does he like science? We listen to a lot of the Shortwave podcast in the car. It isn't kid specific but most topics are fine and I just glance at the titles as I add them to our listening queue.

My kids are currently obsessed with Withywindle, a books podcast for kids. They have a book club, interview a children's author every week, tell dad jokes, and basically make my kids really excited about reading!
    Sharing advice/encouragement for homeschoolers at Homeschooling for Normal People

DS2(13) is very much into audiobooks and sometimes podcasts. He's always listened to Wow in the World and actually listened to it a few days ago at 13. He discovered and binged true crime podcasts during his concussion recovery but I doubt that's what you are looking for

Some books he's listened to over the last few years are:
    Brandon Mull - Fablehaven series and Skyraiders
    Suzanne Collins - Gregor the Overlander series
    Anthony Horowitz - Alex Rider series
    Andy Weir - The Martian (he listened to the regular, adult version and loved the main character's creativity but the language is very colorful. DS thought it was hilarious but he's also good about understanding there's a time and place for it. There is a classroom edition with kid-appropriate language. DS2 says this may be his favorite book and I was entertained listening to it with him here and there)
    Chris Colfer - Land of Stories series
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast