Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Another age question…

For an hour or two at home I would be okay but before I even consider doing this at a hotel I would want to know the hotel’s policy is on doing something like this. I would think about leaving my almost 16 year old and 12 year olds in a hotel now for an hour or two because I imagine they would do the same stuff Jeana said her boys would do, but I don’t know if I would leave DD2 anywhere on her own that wasn’t our home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I would hesitate to leave even the most responsible 11 year old alone in a hotel room... However, I would not think twice about leaving a responsible 11 year old at home for an hour or two...

With all this talk about leaving children home alone, I remember finding age limits years ago... They were higher than I had thought they would be.

It seems to vary by state. With Illinois being 14 years old.

A quick search yielded these articles:

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...alone-by-state

https://www.workingmother.com/when-c...ids-home-alone

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would be tempted to let mine stay alone in a hotel room for that long when they were 11. Easily occupied and rule followers. Where I would get hung up is worrying about someone entering the room. I would definitely use a DO Not Disturb sign but I would also want the deadbolt done up. But as soon as I had to explain to my kids why they needed to be sure to do the deadbolt after I left and come up with a system to alert them when to open it for me and no one else, they would freak out and be scared to stay alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    I would hesitate to leave even the most responsible 11 year old alone in a hotel room... However, I would not think twice about leaving a responsible 11 year old at home for an hour or two...

With all this talk about leaving children home alone, I remember finding age limits years ago... They were higher than I had thought they would be.

It seems to vary by state. With Illinois being 14 years old.

A quick search yielded these articles:

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...alone-by-state

https://www.workingmother.com/when-c...ids-home-alone
    Yeah, my main concern would be what is legal and permitted by the hotel. I can guarantee my DD at 11 would have easily spent three hours watching TV or playing on her iPad. She’s a rule follower, still won’t go onto YouTube when her friends send her links because it’s against family rules. We’d go over expectations and potential problem situations. I’d want someone they could call if lonely/scared. If there was a true emergency you used the word resort so I imagine he could call down to the desk and get anything he needed. As long as not against policy that would be a fine on site backup for me.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

I wouldn’t. Ive heard stories of how other guests were able to get into other rooms as their check in, realizing it’s a wrong room, also may not be legal at a hotel vs your own home too.

What if there’s an evacuation or a fire alarm and your 11 year old have to get out from room? Etc too many variables to go wrong while you’re potentially out of it from the procedure. I’d vote bringing him to dental with an iPad, book and stuff. Barring that, hire babysitter and leave him at home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Another age question…

Not at 11. We have when DS was older, 14-15 years old. We were downstairs having drinks and dinner for DH’s work Christmas party. DS brought his x-box. Couple of the younger work colleagues wanted to join DS gaming rather than be at the work dinner!!

Does the resort have a kids club or something like that for babysitting?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 01-28-2022 at 01:12 AM.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would be concerned that if there was problem at the dentist and something went longer/had to change, then what?

The hotel may have a babysitting service or referal. Or even better, ask your friend who is doing the dental work who they use as a sitter or if they have a friend/family member they could set you up with.

I'd just take to the dental office. Assuming you are familiar enough to ask if there's a spare break area or office your child could hang out in.

Just means DC is eating snacks and playing on a device - probably same as in a hotel room, but in a space with help readily available.

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Honestly, I would try to leave both your children home with a sitter. Of course, my DC would never just sit quietly and do ANYTHING.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2