Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Another age question…

My 11 year old has been able to stay home for a few hours at a time during the day recently. He’s mature and a rule follower, so I’ve been very comfortable.

However…

I am having a colleague/friend do some extensive specialized dental work on me over the next few months. My next trip, I have a 3 hour appointment and DS3 is off school when I have to go. I’d like to take him with me and we could have a little trip. Other than that 3 hours, we could do some fun stuff together.

We are staying at a large resort half a mile from the office.

Would you make the 11 year old go sit at a Cosmetic dental office with you for 3 hours (he’d behave, but it’s an adult oriented office) or would you feel comfortable putting up a do not disturb sign and letting him stay in the hotel room for that time frame?

I can also see if one of the people at the office has a kid who could go babysit for a bit, take him mini golfing on property or something…but I’m not sure if there is anyone for that.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I wouldn’t like the three hours alone in a hotel. If it was necessary, I could come around but it wouldn’t be my first choice.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I wouldn’t leave him alone in a hotel for 3 hours. However, if he is like my Ds3 or dd, and could easily entertain himself with video games or a movie, or a book, AND if the colleague agrees, I’d ask if your dc could sit quietly for 3 hours in the same room as you. I’m assuming the dental work you are getting done isn’t incapacitating if you want to go hang out together before or after so he shouldn’t be too shocked by the dental work being done and the dentist should be able to work with his sitting around you. I would think if he’s typically able to sit quietly he should be fine and then you know he’s nearby and safe. And he’ll feel safer being near you. Jhmo
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 01-27-2022 at 05:51 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

No, I wouldn’t leave an 11 year old alone in a hotel. I’d drag him with you or make childcare arrangements

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

What time are the 3 hrs. Early morning mine would sleep in but if he ad food some gaming device and a lap top. They would not move off the bed for 3 uninterrupted gaming. I would have them lock the deadbolt but I think I would be ok I would text often though
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would have left my twins in a hotel room at age 11 together alone for sure. They would game and eat and watch whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    I would have left my twins in a hotel room at age 11 together alone for sure. They would game and eat and watch whatever.
    But they had each other vs alone.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    But they had each other vs alone.

Yes, true! But two boys together is way dumber than one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    Yes, true! But two boys together is way dumber than one.
    That’s true!

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I would. I would want someone "on call" (dh or a grandmother or somebody) he could call and who would call/text to check on him a couple of times- since you would presumably be pretty unavailable during the procedure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast