MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Did I hear her wrong??

DS had knee surgery two weeks ago. This morning he woke up with a swollen foot and ankle about 1/3 up between his knee and ankle. I had wrapped it in an ace bandage last night to try and stop some swelling but didn't wrap the foot, only from the ankle up. He's in an immobilizer so I was worried about blood clots and called the on call doctor to make sure we didn't need it checked. So when the on call doctor called me back I swear she told me I shouldn't be propping his leg up on pillows at night because that makes it above heart level. She also told me not to prop it up above mid chest when he's sitting because it's above heart level. Did I hear her wrong? I thought you were supposed to prop things up above heart level to reduce swelling. I'm not calling back to ask that, the swelling seems to be going down, but now I'm just confused.

wallawala is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    DS had knee surgery two weeks ago. This morning he woke up with a swollen foot and ankle about 1/3 up between his knee and ankle. I had wrapped it in an ace bandage last night to try and stop some swelling but didn't wrap the foot, only from the ankle up. He's in an immobilizer so I was worried about blood clots and called the on call doctor to make sure we didn't need it checked. So when the on call doctor called me back I swear she told me I shouldn't be propping his leg up on pillows at night because that makes it above heart level. She also told me not to prop it up above mid chest when he's sitting because it's above heart level. Did I hear her wrong? I thought you were supposed to prop things up above heart level to reduce swelling. I'm not calling back to ask that, the swelling seems to be going down, but now I'm just confused.

If you prop it up while sitting up you can create an acute angle at the hip which blocks flow back to the heart. To use gravity to your advantage it works much better to be lying flat with the limb above the heart. I wonder if there is something specific about your husband's knee surgery that made them recommend not propping it up on pillows at night as well(risk of injury if rolls of pillows, or pressure on the joint??)?

I'm glad you are watching carefully for a DVT/clot and that he's looking better. I would definitely tell you to clarify with the on-call doctor if you still have questions! Despite how cranky or short they may be on the phone, they'd rather you get advice specific to him instead of online.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I had knee surgery 12/7 (and did develop clots that traveled to the lungs) I sit in a recliner with my legs up on pillows normally. I was told that to really be effective to reduce swelling that is not high enough -It needs to be above the heart. I was also told to do foot pumps hourly to help with swelling and reduce the chance of clots.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    I had knee surgery 12/7 (and did develop clots that traveled to the lungs) I sit in a recliner with my legs up on pillows normally. I was told that to really be effective to reduce swelling that is not high enough -It needs to be above the heart. I was also told to do foot pumps hourly to help with swelling and reduce the chance of clots.
    Oh my gosh!! Was it very clear to you that you had a blood clot? DS is only 13 so I worry he'll just blow something off if it feels "off" which is why I'm trying to watch him closely. The dr told me if his skin is shiny or swollen above calf/into thigh then she'd send us for an ultrasound but that swelling below the injury is normal.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    Oh my gosh!! Was it very clear to you that you had a blood clot? DS is only 13 so I worry he'll just blow something off if it feels "off" which is why I'm trying to watch him closely. The dr told me if his skin is shiny or swollen above calf/into thigh then she'd send us for an ultrasound but that swelling below the injury is normal.

day 5 after surgery I started being just a tad short of breath but I had episodes of racing heart beats. Day 6 it was concerning enough to call the surgeon who told me it was almost unheard of to have a clot after knee surgery but I could go to the ER if I want to be safe. I didnt go. Day 7 I happened to have an appt w/rheumatology who sent me for a stat US of the leg but they didnt find a clot. Day 10 I couldnt walk across my house w/o huffing and puffing. My bp was sky high 177/93 ... called my pcp who saw me immediately and sent me to the ER immediately. He wanted me to go via ambulance!

I had a little pain/swelling in the calf but nothing that screamed 'clot' to me. To be fair, PE runs in my family. My cousin died of one when she was 38. Mom has had several, aunt had them, another cousin who is 41...... so if anyone was going to get them, it'd be me.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It's extremely rare for a child to get a blood clot after a surgery.