hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default There is nothing I can do, but this is ridiculous...

DC is a high school Senior taking classes at a local college as well as high school. One of the college classes is an In-person language class one night a week for 3 hours. DC has had some limited exposure to the language is super excited about the class and really likes the professor. The class uses an "online textbook"; for some reason DC cannot access it. For the past FIVE classes, DC has spent most of it trying to trouble shoot the system with the professor. We have a tech tutor who has no idea. DC repels technology, so we have someone helping with that piece, but this is specific to this one class, the tech tutor has no idea; the professor has no idea why DC cannot access the system... DC is now FIVE weeks behind on homework, the professor made her skip the first test since she has not been able to access the program. The teacher doesn't have office hours. The high school may be able to help some, but the fact that DC is FIVE weeks behind is a fact that will not change!

I have NO idea what to do. Actually, I know that I can do nothing, this is college, DC has to figure it out. DC has handled it all so well until she tried to access the program yesterday, thinking she was all set after the last class, and can't get in. It's a disaster! It's college so there is NOTHING I can do, but watch it all go up in flames. These college classes were supposed to increase the confidence that college would be okay; this is not what is happening. The virtual class DC is taking is going great! The in-person is a disaster due to the "textbook"???? ARGH!!!!!

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

So sorry your DC is going through this. It should not be this hard!! Curious what company/program it is? DS had a similar problem with an online textbook. At a certain point after DS had tried multiple times to get it fixed and was getting really frustrated and stressed, we got his user ID and password, and handled it ourselves. It took so much work to get it resolved that I think we made the right call stepping in. It took over two hours of both DH and I trying to get through to the company through email, phone calls, and online chat, and then several hours more while we waited for tech support to get back to us, to get it resolved. So frustrating! This was only a week and a half into class, though, so DS wasn't as far behind as your DC.

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    So sorry your DC is going through this. It should not be this hard!! Curious what company/program it is? DS had a similar problem with an online textbook. At a certain point after DS had tried multiple times to get it fixed and was getting really frustrated and stressed, we got his user ID and password, and handled it ourselves. It took so much work to get it resolved that I think we made the right call stepping in. It took over two hours of both DH and I trying to get through to the company through email, phone calls, and online chat, and then several hours more while we waited for tech support to get back to us, to get it resolved. So frustrating! This was only a week and a half into class, though, so DS wasn't as far behind as your DC.
    It's a Pearson product. Do you have any advice as to what worked? DC is supposed to be looping in her IT expert father this weekend, but is so stressed out about it that might be too much!!! I mentioned dropping the class and DC exploded! They shouldn't have to for a TEXTBOOK! Of course, there is a holiday on Monday and DC has a college visit on Tuesday so they will not even have time to troubleshoot with the teacher until the day of the next class. I am so mad.

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Ours was not Pearson. But solution might still work- I think ultimately they scrapped DS’s original account and created a new one, and gave him access to the book through the new account.

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    Ours was not Pearson. But solution might still work- I think ultimately they scrapped DS’s original account and created a new one, and gave him access to the book through the new account.
    According to DC, they tried that already and it still didn't work. However, if DH can't get it working this weekend, I am getting our high school contact involved. The tech tutor at the high school is aware of the problem, but I don't know if the dual enrollment coordinator is....

California, Thank you so much for your help. I am glad your DC was able to ultimately gain access...

DC just came in to tell me that the "textbook" is working! THANKFULLY!!!! No idea what changed, I don't think DH stepped in. So that's a confidence boost for the kid.

Now, the kid has to make up four weeks of work! I don't think that is happening by the next class, but at least they have access to the "textbook" and the professor knows why they are behind!!! What a nightmare for my NOT technologically savvy kid.

Thank you all for the support!