jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Gear for Utah parks

We池e heading to Utah for spring break. We値l be doing light hiking. Mostly short hikes. I think the longest hike planned is 8 miles. We have Stowaway backpacks and Camelpacks. Would either of those options be ok or should we invest in one more substantial pack? Planning on carrying water, snacks, first aid kit, camera, bug spray, sunscreen, sun hats. Anything I知 forgetting? TIA

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/1098...ut_test05&SS=B

You are totally fine with just a regular day pack. That is all I have ever used for hiking the parks. You won't need bug spray--there are no bugs! You might need to carry a rain jacket. And water--one quart per hour is the recommended amount. I have a 3 liter camelback and that's what I always carry. Just to be sure! And we carry a 2 liter jug of water in the car just so we have it. It never hurts to throw in a headlamp and I always have those tin foil emergency blankets--just in case. The biggest issue non-locals have here is remembering to drink enough water. So you could add some powder drink mix to your water if that means you will drink more. You just have to rinse out the Camelpak really well each day.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

gobadgers is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Your list looks great! Agree with lots of water - even if it's not hot, it's dry.

If you're like me, you'll want shoes with great traction to keep up with the kids :-)
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

Yes to decent shoes. You will be fine with trail running shoes or hiking shoes. You won't need boots. But something with decent tread is good. I get my kids trail running shoes from Sierra Trading post and that's what they use for hiking.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."