Thread: Just a Vent

Default Just a Vent

DD saw Elsa and Anna at a local kids store (where she also sometimes takes dance class and plays in open gym and generally feels very at home) about a year and a half ago. She has asked about 200 times since then when they will be back. They scheduled an event with them there last week that got postponed to today due to weather. She remembered she was supposed to go and was sad it was postponed. Her grandparents had to take a use DH was leaving town for work and DS had an eye appointment we had already had to postpone twice. Apparently the whole thing was a flop. They danced with the kids that wanted to sing and dance, but didn’t really try to engage those who were shy. She wasn’t miserable, but didn’t have fun at all. She waited in line to sit on a bench with them for photos but then cried and left when it was her turn. None of this is a huge surprise because she is shy around crowds and people she doesn’t know. But it just made me so sad. Like a really out of proportion response. I am just sitting here crying. Partly for her, and partly because I feel like I try so hard to plan and do and get things that will make other people happy and then it isn’t worth the effort.

I realize it isn’t a big thing and I am just stressed from dealing with DS’s appendix ordeal. I just needed things to go well and people to be happy for a little while.

DS cried and wouldn’t cooperate for the second half of his eye appointment this morning. Which lasted WAY longer than it needed to because they were really over booked and behind. And would have lasted 30 minutes longer if I hadn’t reminded the assistant that he needed to get his eyes dilated… She got a prescription for him but wasn’t able to do all the tests she wanted to. She was much more patient with him than I was. He screamed like he was getting his eyeballs removed when they put in the drops to dilate him. And I just wanted to snap at him to be quiet and stop being dramatic. When I should have wanted to hold his hand and tell him it would be ok.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I feel you so very much here - I react to situations just like you described. It's *so* hard being a mom sometimes! You've dealt with so much lately! Sending you hugs and support and assurances that you're doing the best you can and it's absolutely enough.
    Lizi

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Parenting is hard.

Don't forget that all the attention is focused on DS right now, and DD might be feeling stressed and worried.

Could you choose something fun to look forward to, a good ways in the future? Let things get more "normal" and settled. Then have an event focused on DD.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Parenting is hard.

Don't forget that all the attention is focused on DS right now, and DD might be feeling stressed and worried.

Could you choose something fun to look forward to, a good ways in the future? Let things get more "normal" and settled. Then have an event focused on DD.
    This is probably a good idea, I just have to figure out what it might be. I feel like most of the things we do are already kind of catered toward her, though I get that she probably doesn’t understand that. We do have a beach trip planned and 2 weeks of summer camp that her best friend will be going to with her.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Aww. I know you're really sad but you're such a sweet mom in the middle of a hard part of parenting and it makes me want to give you a hug and a medal! I know you mention this is just a little vent but on top of all the other things you're dealing with--especially the appendicitis issues with your DS, of course you're stressed! I'm sorry DD's much anticipated activity didn't turn out how she'd hoped. And I bet DS is a whirl of emotions right now. Here's hoping tomorrow is better!