JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Help with a possible Santa Cruz/Monterey/Bay Area CA trip

The kids and I have not been anywhere since Summer 2019. Before the war, which among other things brought inflated gas prices, I was thinking we could drive from Oregon (where we live) to CA at the end of June. I lived in the Bay area about 20 years ago and the kids and I visited SF/Berkeley/Oakland about 4 years ago. I liked the idea of driving at the only thing to cancel if something prevented us from going would be hotel/wherever we booked to stay. When we went last time we did not go to Santa Cruz or Monterey and I was thinking these would be fun places for the kids to see. Thought I would have a car and either have these be day trips or stay overnight in Santa Cruz.

With the inflated gas prices, I am wondering if booking flights would be better. I have a 2010 Mazda 5 and it doesnt get great gas mileage. So, trying to decide drive vs fly as well as where to stay (location-wise and hotel/Air B&B, etc). The kids tend to love hotels. Last time we went I had a new American Express Hilton card that basically enabled us to stay at Hiltons for free and that is what we said. No freebies this time.

Also, looking for any general tips on booking flights (possibly) and places to stay...I used to feel quite skilled at this, and it has been such a long time. My go-to would be to look on Google flghts...
    Thanks!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Help with a possible Santa Cruz/Monterey/Bay Area CA trip

Duplicate
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 03-08-2022 at 08:43 AM.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

If you’re counting dimes with regards to gas prices vs flying, remember you’ll likely need a car if you aren’t staying right in a city with public transportation (or ride shares…). I think it’d be fine if you just did the immediate Bay Area but how would you get around without a rental car if you didn’t?
    I would take your car and enjoy the drive like stopping at the Avenue of the Giants, Muir Woods, maybe do an overnight in Trinidad.
    If you decide to stay in SF, stay at the Hyatt at Embarcadero. I think that’s a handy spot. The hotel gets great reviews (no first hand experience).
    Check Google Flights but also Southwest. They don’t always show up on Google Flights.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks! Yes, having the car during the trip would certainly help...although I do think either public transport and/or ubers could also work if we fly. And if we didn't want to hit Santa Cruz it would be less of an issue. It would still be cheaper with a car, I think. I do hate driving, so there is that, but dd can also drive so not as bad as it used to be.

Anyone have any more ideas on places to stay, including in Santa Cruz? Also, would love to know more about recommended things to do (other than the boardwalk) in SC and possibly Monterey (other than the aquarium, of course).

Also, maybe I will have to post this in the lounge, but any speculations on just how expensive gas may get... I think the unknown of that is part of what makes this hard.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Point Lobos just south of Monterrey is gorgeous and a lovely stop for a couple of hours - easy hiking paths and when we were there we saw dolphins and sea otters off shore and lots of cool birds. No hotel/dining options to offer as we were traveling in a camper van.

Point lobos for hiking is a definite. We also kayaked the Elkhorn Slough and LOVED it. So much wildlife!! We went with a guide. You can just rent kayaks from the place and go yourself--you can't get lost!! It was just nice to have someone to talk to us about what we were seeing. (and I NOT a guided tour person) We popped down to Carmel to see the Mission.

Here is my trip report on San Fran and Monterey with the kids:
    https://www.fodors.com/community/uni...weens-1224177/
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."