Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Santa Fe with tweens

We just arrived to Santa Fe for several days, for spring break! Thought i'd check i with BBB wisdom to see if any recs/must-sees, especially in the early spring/wintertime?

So far we have planned to do the following
    - visit Plaza and do some boutique shopping (DS wants to go to the cutlery store to get a Swiss Army knife, DD wants to check out a toy store)
    - Sandia Peak Tram
    - Hot Air balloon museum (maybe)

Any other good recommendations (aside from skiing)? We'd like to do some sort of hiking, and do a few things to appreciate the amazing culture and history here. It's in the 20s-40s here but sunny and my kids have no issue with the cold (my son was literally sitting outside on the balcony in shorts and crocs). We'd be good with indoor activities as well (we wear masks). Would love any recommendations. People seem to recommend Taos - is it good for just basic hiking and appreciation of the local culture?

There is Georgia OKeefe museum - sounds interesting but would tweens get bored?

My DS is really into trains - would Sky Railway be good/worth it?

We flew up in to ABQ and are staying at a condo in Santa Fe which is awesome bc we can spread out and hang out and eat a lot of meals at home. Though we'd like to try a few authentic restaurants with New Mexico cuisine!

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I only have a few minutes but wanted to answer a few of your questions!

- Tomasitas is my absolute favorite New Mexican of all time.
    - Go to Moon Rabbit Toys just off the plaza
    - Shop the vendors just in front of the Palace of there Governors, it is authentic Native American artwork and jewelry
    - Tent Rocks is one of my favorite hikes, but I would check locally about conditions before going, I have never gone in winter
    - Taos Pueblo is really interesting, highly recommend

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

jerigirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Meowolf!! Book your tickets in advance.
    https://meowwolf.com/visit/santa-fe
    jeri
    DS 6/10/06
    DS2 9/1/10

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jerigirl View Post
    I have been dying to get back to see this!!

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

bcafe is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jerigirl View Post
    For sure! The nuclear museum in ABQ is awesome (science/history mix). I've heard El Pinto in ABQ is good and authentic, or at least my Mexican friends thought it was a good blend between New Mexico and Mexican. Kitsune is good as is Coda Bakery (Vietnamese). Their Banh Mi is delicious!
    Last edited by bcafe; 03-07-2022 at 08:12 PM.

The Sandia tram will be cold up on top. Bring coats and pants!

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

thanks all!! before seeing this actually we had multiple friends suggest Meow Wolf and so we booked tickets for today. We spent nearly 2 hours there today and it was AWESOME. It was perfect for the kids so they could walk around/climb and explore. I was blown away by how cool everything was. The kids loved it too.

Afterwards we ate at an awesome restaurant near the Plaza (Cafe Pasqual) and did some shopping. We did try to go to Moon Rabbit Toys but they were closed on Mondays - so we will be back tomorrow. We went to Santa Fe Cutlery and got DS the swiss army knife he wanted.

and indeed, we will bundle up for Sandia tram ride. i will force DS/DD to not wear their crocs as usual i went there by myself 3 years ago and i remember it did get chilly up there!

Tomorrow is DD's birthday so we are probably going to do a bit more souvenir shopping around the plaza and find a bakery to get a cake , and maybe have lunch somewhere.

Then on Wed we are going to drive to ABQ to to Sandia Tramway and do some hiking, and meet up with a friend for dinner. The sandia tramway doesn't take too long so maybe we can swing the atomic museum there too. we may skip the hot air balloon museum

So glad you got to Meow Wolf!!! There is the Indian Cultural Center in ABQ--interesting info on the Pueblo tribes. I would to to Acoma if you can--amazing. But cold. The atomic museum is cool. They even have a rattlesnake museum! Walk around Old Town ABQ as well.

I loved the Georgia OKeefe museum--doesn't take long.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

ABQ gets a bad rap at times, but we think it is beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by bcafe View Post
    ABQ gets a bad rap at times, but we think it is beautiful!
    DH is from ABQ--it's a great place to go with kids. We loooooved the kids museum, the zoo, etc. We always had fun.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast