Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default NYC: favorite places to eat

I've been to NYC dozens of times, but the last time was 7yr ago. We are taking the kids for a weekend. Already have tickets to a broadway show and a hotel. We will need dinner two nights (Fri/Sat) and breakfast two days (Sat/Sun) and lunch Saturday. Any favorites to recommend? I'd like to make reservations in advance for places that take them.

We're letting the kids pick what they want to see/experience. I anticipate it'll be a view of the Statue of Liberty, Empire State building, a walk by Macy's (cause ya know, the parade lol), the financial district, time square, central park. So mostly walking and looking at stuff, lol.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My kids are so low maintenance on our trips that we often just grab slices of pizza. I was so excited when I discovered Levain bakery was like a block from our hotel. I got lots of delicious baked treats on our last trip. I usually just pulled up google maps "nearby" feature to find food. Can't throw a stone without hitting a well reviewed restaurant usually.
    By the theaters, Le Bonne Soupe is reliably good.
    Do they like Harry Potter? If so, book a VR activity to skip the whole store virtual queue nonsense (and have a fun activity too).

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I like to use Eater.com to pick places. Beyond that it depends on what you like, budget, etc. DD and I are going soon and have reservations for couple of nicer dinners because she is my adventurous eater and will appreciate it. We will grab something quick and easy for breakfasts. Lunch one day will be pizza. The other days are a mix. We are going to Black Tap one day which is a chain (usually try to avoid chains when traveling) but they have the over the top milkshakes that I know DD and her friend will enjoy.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Sometimes, I really like the food court at Grand Central Terminal (42nd Street & Park Ave) - if you're staying in the Theater District, it's walkable, but with weather so variable, take the Times Square Shuttle/"S" train to Grand Central, exit the subway using the stairs, and walk through the hallway to the Dining Concourse.

Other times, I'm more of a "dirty water dog" from a street vendor kind of girl ... lots of options, better selection when it's warmer outdoors.

DD and I have been bringing our lunches with us when we go in, but we're mostly day-trippers and we go at the holidays, so we plan on snacks/dinner at the holiday markets.

EDIT: When I go with my BFF, we usually plan on grabbing breakfast pastries & coffee at Penn Station, then we head to Chinatown for lunch at Peking Duck House. While we know there are smaller, probably better restaurants in Times Square we've made going to Bubba Gump Shrimp Co a tradition. We are comfortable with the fact that it's tacky and overpriced because, if you can get a seat near one, it provides some of the best people-watching windows in the area.
    Last edited by lizzywednesday; 03-08-2022 at 07:21 PM.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We all like Eataly

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

We went in December and liked Parker & Quinn. It was a block from Bryant Park and only a couple blocks from Times Square/Broadway. We ate there before a Broadway show. It had great atmosphere.

When we go to the Museum of Natural History, we like to walk to Patsy's Pizzeria.

We've always wanted to try Rolf's but haven't made it there yet...

Tenasparkl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I like Sarabeth's for brunch/lunch. What show are you seeing?

Back when we lived easy driving distance went in for weekends, we liked to go for dim sum on Sunday before hitting the road. I just looked and our favorite spot has closed (Oriental Garden) but there are lots of other options.
    We are not just "pick a spot on the street" eaters. We have specific places to eat specific things. Our favorite pizza is Lombardi's. I'll think of some more but it's been a while!

jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

On a trip with my parents & my sister & her family, we went to Parm https://www.parmitalian.com/. Everyone enjoyed & I think we were able to make reservations.
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Tenasparkl View Post
    I like Sarabeth's for brunch/lunch. What show are you seeing?
    Hadestown. People I know who've seen it recently raved about it. Kids and I have been listening to the soundtrack and I really like what I hear.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast