Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Dress me for a wedding?

My niece is getting married in May. The reception will be outside. Her colors are mauves and purples--though I'm not sure I have to wear something in that color family.

I'm looking for a dress that has sleeves and isn't too low in the front or back. Also, I would love it to be below the knee. Recently I've gained weight in my KNEES (it is the darnedest thing!) and all the sudden knee length stuff isn't looking too hot.

I'd love for something to accentuate my waist which is still small. I'd also love for it not to be too tight through the tummy as I still have a bit of a mummy tummy from my 4 c-sections.

I'm currently a size M in tops and 6 to 8 in jeans. I am currently exercising and trying to lose about ten pounds. But I'm not sure I'm going to get there by the end of May! Instead of beating myself up about it, I've determined to just get myself a really beautiful dress and love my middle aged body. Would love any leads you might have!

I'm not much of a shopper and I don't really know where to start. I just tried on a bunch of dresses at Old Navy which is where I discovered that my knees aren't cute anymore, lol. I liked the "short sleeved waist defined" dresses on me but I'm afraid that since I have a bit more in the bust I look more like a medieval serving wench than an appropriate middle aged aunt, lol.

Money is an issue but I'm in a position where I can afford to spend a little more than I would have in the past. I can't imagine spending more than $100 but might consider it for a dress that I could wear much more than once (like maybe regularly to church?)

Thanks in advance!

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Following, same situation but size 12, navy are the colors, so maybe I can’t wear that. Can’t wait to see what the suggestions are!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I’ll look later tonight but those color being their wedding colors I’d more “stay away” because those colors are “claimed” by the bridesmaids. Obviously it’s no biggie since most people have no clue what the colors are before the show up unless it is a close friend or family or they just happened upon the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Snugglebuggles, thank you so much for linking all those dresses! I really like the 2nd cocktail link, although I'm not sure there is enough substance on the sleeves so yes sleeves are a must! I might order it and try it. These are also good sources that I can scroll through and see if I can find anything.

Honestly, after poking around it seems like the dresses I'm looking for are more "mother of the bride" which makes me feel sort of old. But everything else is strapless, sleeveless, backless, or short, lol. I like those looks but they won't work for me.

Regarding color, I don't think in my case that the bride's family will mind that we "match" the scheme but neither do they require it? We will be in family pictures. This is my niece that is getting married. DD is a flower girl.

Is it a fashion thing (like you don't think they look good) or a requirement for religious reasons? If it's a fashion thing, a cute dress will distract from any of your perceived flaws.
    Don't go the MOB fashion route! All of the ones I linked are perfectly appropriate for your current age. I feel like I found a good number of modest, flattering options. Happy to keep looking but I am not shopping in the MOB section for you.

Also, has anyone tried eShakti? My sister was telling me about them. They have dresses that you can customize--add length, change the neckline or sleeve, etc. I'm curious as to whether anyone here has tried it?

TIA!

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Regarding color, I don't think in my case that the bride's family will mind that we "match" the scheme but neither do they require it? We will be in family pictures. This is my niece that is getting married. DD is a flower girl.
    If you wanted to coordinate but not be confused for a member of the bridal party, this Macy's one from above pulls in the purple
    https://www.macys.com/shop/product/connected-capelet-overlay-sheath-dress?CategoryID=5449&ID=13244768&cm_mmc=Google_ad net-_-Macys-Branded_Macys-Branded-_-macys-074463914650296068373937393202666777401-_-kclickid_5f175ab1-9f7d-47a6-bbc4-d56f8ae586ab_hoo_mobile_us_web&type=pid|$CLICK_ID$ |5f175ab1-9f7d-47a6-bbc4-d56f8ae586ab-5f175ab1-9f7d-47a6-bbc4-d56f8ae586ab&ADNETID=07446391465029606837393739320 2666777401&m_sc=sem&m_sb=Ad.net&m_tp=Search&m_ac=G oogle_adnet&m_ag=macys%20branded&m_cn=macys%20bran ded&m_pi=kclickid_5f175ab1-9f7d-47a6-bbc4-d56f8ae586ab_0744639146502960683739373932026667774 01

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Is it a fashion thing (like you don't think they look good) or a requirement for religious reasons? If it's a fashion thing, a cute dress will distract from any of your perceived flaws.
    Don't go the MOB fashion route! All of the ones I linked are perfectly appropriate for your current age. I feel like I found a good number of modest, flattering options. Happy to keep looking but I am not shopping in the MOB section for you.
    Religious! Or it has been. But I also don't want to show my knees. Above the knees but not short is ok but not cute on me. If I get to pick my dress, I'd rather the hem be longer. I like the MOB looks! Maybe that's just because a lot of my social circle adheres to the same dress styles as we share a religion? You definitely do not have to keep shopping for me and I do appreciate the time you put into pulling together those looks!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast