ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default WWYD - NHS student lied about tutoring DD for service requirement

DD struggled with school last year when it was remote/hybrid. Her guidance counselor connected her to a classmate who was supposed to mentor her in time management.
    DD mentioned today that the student had flaked out but claimed the hours anyways for her NHS service requirement.
    WWYD? DD is not in NHS and only knows what she's heard this student (and others) talking about. Also, this was last school year. But I am really frustrated that this was the guidance office initiative and that my DD thinks that NHS service hour fabrication is rampant at her school.
    ncat
    mama to DD 12/04, DS1 11/08, and DS2 7/13

This is a tough situation. There are a few issues here. The first is that the guidance Dept did not confirm that your daughter got the help she needed. I think this is really your only issue that you have ground to make an issue with. I think it makes sense to touch base with guidance to mention that the support never occurred however I would not bring up that you heard ti was used by this student as their NHS service requirement. Since you are not validating the service hours I think you should not get involved in that aspect. It would be one thing if you were directly involved in certifying that the hours were valid. Since you are hearing about if via DD and in somewhat of a word of mouth fashion I'm not sure if you spoke up you would have the desired end result. One if the guidance dept is not taking it seriously they may have take little to no action in this matter. Secondly there may be some negative repercussions to your daughter. We do not have NHS at our school but is there any possibility that the requirements were relaxed a bit due to covid/remote schooling? Also if this a yearly requirement and the last year's was fabricated then what issues does this cause if there is no way to correct the situation. I could also see it opening a whole can of worms. I understand your frustration and desire to call attention to this matter though.

ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks! This is not the first time I've been frustrated with DD's guidance counselor and I've been hesitant to complain in the past because I know how important they are for college admissions stuff and I did not want to get on her bad side. Unfortunately DS1 and 2 are likely to get the same counselor in a few years unless she leaves the school.

I guess my desired outcome would be for nhs service hours related to the guidance office to be audited. But no real benefit for anyone, I am just frustrated to see DD learning that the way to get ahead in life is to cheat.

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Ugh... The school should have followed up both to ensure your child was getting the help she needed AND that the service hours were done correctly.

My DC's school has NHS, but it is very small and VERY service oriented. All the students involved have large on-going service project. It makes sense that NHS requires service hours and it is frustrating to see someone try to cheat, especially at the expense of a younger peer.

Definitely talk to your child and what is right and what is wrong and why cheating the system is never right. All you can do is speak with the guidance counselor about what did NOT happen and talk to your DD about what was went wrong in this situation.

jerigirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My child's NHS hours have to be signed off on. Someone probably had to sign off on this student's hours. I would think that person would have checked in with you/your daughter to confirm.
    jeri
    DS 6/10/06
    DS2 9/1/10

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jerigirl View Post
    My child's NHS hours have to be signed off on. Someone probably had to sign off on this student's hours. I would think that person would have checked in with you/your daughter to confirm.
    Ditto. Mine took a form with him to be signed at some of his volunteering. Others gave him letters that he could submit.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would maybe have the child talk to the counselor and leave it at that. The NHS student is in the wrong by not tutoring but I honestly don’t think you can do more than report it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Ugh, I'd be frustrated too. But I agree, it's not your issue to get involved with and it's better to just leave it alone. You can and should follow-up with the guidance counselor about DD not getting the help she needed, but leave it at that. It is super frustrating to hear that it sounds like kids are cheating on their NHS hours, and I agree that an audit of the whole program's service hours would be in order, but given that you're not involved I feel like it's better for you to just move on from that one. Now, of course, if you're asked to sign off on service hours for this person, I wouldn't agree to do so and would report it at that point -- but otherwise, I wouldn't get involved.
    Lizi