Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post

Icunurse - would you mind sharing info on the doctor group?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    I will PM you!

ETA - your inbox is full
    Last edited by icunurse; 03-17-2022 at 02:24 PM.

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by icunurse View Post
    I have been donating to World Central Kitchen. They provide hot meals around the world to people who need them. They have a great score on charity navigator. Chef Jose Andes runs it and they are currently doing big work to help the refugees. They also use local kitchens to prepare the food, so they benefit, too.
    This is such a wonderful charity. I signed up last spring to help prepare meals for everyone giving vaccinations at Dodger Stadium though them (they actually cancelled many of us because they had so many volunteers!) Since then, I've seen updates about all the places around the world that they've been helping and it's inspiring.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by icunurse View Post
    I will PM you!

ETA - your inbox is full
    Just cleared space - thank you!!!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    That's really interesting to me and I'm glad that you shared this. In prior drives I feel like actual stuff has been looked down upon because sending money is more effective but due to all the disruption that may no longer be the case.
    Yes, in "typical" disasters, the relief orgs can make your money go further for crisis management because they can buy what's necessary when they're on the ground rather than having to spend time and manpower sorting it.

In this case, where the supply lines are completely messed up (and you're near/in a literal war zone), it counterintuitively makes sense to ship "stuff" rather than "send cash" if you have a connection.

One of my childhood BFFs is Polish; her mother was constantly collecting "stuff" to send to relatives and friends in Poland when we were very young. At one point in the mid-to-late-80s, there was an extreme shortage of baby/kids' clothing, so my mom handed down all of the things my sister and brothers had outgrown but not destroyed. (My sister is still upset about it because it includes a dress she wore in one of the few family photos we have from that time.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Thank you so much for sharing. I’ve been meaning to ask where to donate to make the biggest impact.

Gatorsmon - would you mind serving as a go between to your friend via PM? Saving on shipping costs would mean more goods could be purchased.

I'm sorry it took me a day to answer this. It's been really busy around here and we all came home sick from vacation (a gripe for another post...). I texted my friend to find out the best way to get more items to her parents' village in Poland. I would be willing to collect items at my house from the BBB moms, maybe get my kids' scout troops to help with collecting more items and boxing them up, and send them to Poland via my friend's shipper. But I'm waiting to hear back from her and her parents what they think is best. As soon as i do, I'll post back here.

Every time I see a news clip about what the Ukrainian people are going through, I want to help more.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Thank you so much for sharing. I’ve been meaning to ask where to donate to make the biggest impact.

Gatorsmon - would you mind serving as a go between to your friend via PM? Saving on shipping costs would mean more goods could be purchased.

I'm sorry it took me a day to answer this. It's been really busy around here and we all came home sick from vacation (a gripe for another post...). I texted my friend to find out the best way to get more items to her parents' village in Poland. I would be willing to collect items at my house from the BBB moms, maybe get my kids' scout troops to help with collecting more items and boxing them up, and send them to Poland via my friend's shipper. But I'm waiting to hear back from her and her parents what they think is best. As soon as i do, I'll post back here.

Every time I see a news clip about what the Ukrainian people are going through, I want to help more.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

hwin708 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I've been donating directly to the Ukrainian army. The Ukrainian National Bank set up a site specifically for this.
    https://bank.gov.ua/en/news/all/nats...potrebi-armiyi

My family members who prefer to donate specifically to medical workers have donated to Hospitallers, which is Ukraine's field medical unit, working directly on the warfront. It is easy enough to donate via paypal, but their site is in Ukrainian, so not as explicitly laid out as others.
    https://www.hospitallers.life/needs-hospitallers-copy
    Last edited by hwin708; 03-18-2022 at 11:12 PM.
    #BidenHarris2020 “It’s easier to be a parent this morning. It’s easier to be a dad. It’s easier to tell your kids character matters. It matters. Telling the truth matters. Being a good person matters.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2