wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Where should we vacation last week of June?

DH and I decided to take our summer vacation with the kids the last week of June. We did this week last year too. It's a sweet spot for us...the week immediately following the last week of school and before any summer camps, sports camps, and summer travel sports start.

Last year we did 10 days at Disney at Old Key West. We got "stuck" there an extra 2 days because of flight cancellations.

This year we are looking at a 5-7 day trip. Where should we go? Closest airport is ROC. BLO is an hour. Toronto is 3hrs. So flying always involves either expensive flights out of ROC, commuting to a cheaper airport, and almost always no direct flights. DDs are 12 and 14.

We are doing NYC for Easter weekend.

Contemplating Boston and hitting it before the crazy busy 4th of July crowds. Would require preplanning of an itinerary and would be an active vacation...lots to see and do.

Contemplating WDW again. We have a free park hopper for all 4 of us (courtesy of last year's travel debacle) and we'd probably only do 1 other day at the parks and then just hang at the resort and do resort life for a few days. The appeal here is that we know how WDW works, how transportation and the resorts work, and so this would be an easy trip to take with not much planning involved (and yes, Genie+ and all that crap is planning, but still, easier when you've been before and know what you want/don't want).

I secretly long to do something tropical like Cancun/Cozumel or an island. I, personally, would love nothing more than to park my butt in a beach chair, drink umbrella drinks, and relax. Not sure the kids and DH would enjoy all that nothingness.

I thought about going somewhere in Europe. But I don't know if I'm ready to invest the mental energy into planning a trip like that (see my tropical idea above).

I told DH that our window to do something really cool is closing soon as DD1 is a freshman and soon our time will be spent on college visits, and her working summers. We have never been travelers due to lack of time and lack of money. We now find ourselves with a bit of both. We don't have an unlimited budget, but have a WDW budget (and we know that's not cheap these days!). There's a million places in the US I know we'd have fun visiting as a family...Boston, New Orleans, Nashville, Seatle, Southern CA, Las Vegas, Asheville, Richmond, and on and on and on.

So, where'd you go for 5-7 days the last week of June?
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We are contemplating this too but took Europe off the table as flights are $1800 each with 2 stops (we have lots of direct options). I can usually get Europe for around $800 so no way at these prices.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We have 12, 14, and 15 year olds, and we're doing a couple days at Universal. Wish we had more, but we're seeing grandparents who expect us to be there more than a night or two. If you have a 1 day park hopper and people willing to do parks, I'd mix it up with Disney and Universal, plus some water parks...or Discovery Cove (we haven't been but friends love it.)

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    We are contemplating this too but took Europe off the table as flights are $1800 each with 2 stops (we have lots of direct options). I can usually get Europe for around $800 so no way at these prices.
    I booked flights to Germany for the beginning of July a week or so before Ukraine was invaded. We are itching to travel internationally but if I don't think I could stomach the current prices either.

My first thought was Boston. We went last year, combined with some time in Maine first, and the kids really loved it. Another suggestion would be Quebec City and Montreal or Toronto and Niagara Falls if you haven't been before. These Canadian cities were on our short list for vacation this year. Asheville is awesome - it's a great mountain town with a fun, quirky feel, the Biltmore and good restaurants. There are beautiful hikes and waterfalls close by. We usually do long weekend visits since it's only a 4 hour drive but could fill 5 days or even a few days on the way to another destination. Charleston/Savannah mixed with a nearby beach is lots of fun. Savannah is one of my favorite cities. So many amazing places that you can't go wrong. But I also understand the desire for a tropical, relaxing week away.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

What type of tourism do you like the most? I prefer to spend my holidays at the beach, for example. My husband doesn't care where to go, as long as he can play golf there. Children during a family trip are usually more interested in different activities, such as riding bicycles around the new town or learning to ride a jet ski. I try to choose those destinations for our trips that would take into account the interests of each member of my family. If you know all this, too, that you may be interested in learning more about tourism in Florida, I recently read this article https://www.beachluxuryvacations.com...dream-vacation and I think that this place is really interesting for our family. At least I'm sure that every member of my family will be able to find an exciting activity for himself on this vacation.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    I booked flights to Germany for the beginning of July a week or so before Ukraine was invaded. We are itching to travel internationally but if I don't think I could stomach the current prices either.

My first thought was Boston. We went last year, combined with some time in Maine first, and the kids really loved it. Another suggestion would be Quebec City and Montreal or Toronto and Niagara Falls if you haven't been before. These Canadian cities were on our short list for vacation this year. Asheville is awesome - it's a great mountain town with a fun, quirky feel, the Biltmore and good restaurants. There are beautiful hikes and waterfalls close by. We usually do long weekend visits since it's only a 4 hour drive but could fill 5 days or even a few days on the way to another destination. Charleston/Savannah mixed with a nearby beach is lots of fun. Savannah is one of my favorite cities. So many amazing places that you can't go wrong. But I also understand the desire for a tropical, relaxing week away.
    We've done a bit of Toronto because we are just 3hrs away. Niagara Falls has been done several times because of our proximity...it's a day trip for us. Quebec/Montreal/PEI are a possibility. Asheville could be the right mix of explore and relax.

Quote Originally Posted by Galkina View Post
    What type of tourism do you like the most? I prefer to spend my holidays at the beach, for example. My husband doesn't care where to go, as long as he can play golf there. Children during a family trip are usually more interested in different activities, such as riding bicycles around the new town or learning to ride a jet ski. I try to choose those destinations for our trips that would take into account the interests of each member of my family. If you know all this, too, that you may be interested in learning more about tourism in Florida, I recently read this article https://www.beachluxuryvacations.com...dream-vacation and I think that this place is really interesting for our family. At least I'm sure that every member of my family will be able to find an exciting activity for himself on this vacation.
    That's our challenge. I'm content to park my butt on a beach chair and think no thoughts for days on end. DD1 would probably enjoy that too. DH and DD2 need to be entertained.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

This awesome compromise mini vacation has worked really well for us- Cedar Point and stay at Hotel Breakers. The beach and pool bums are happy because they don't have to do anything. The ones that are itching to do stuff have a world class amusement park steps away. No one ever has to get in a car. The park goers can bounce back and visit/eat/hang at the pool to spend time together then go ride some more. There are water sports and a water park available too. We have loved our trips there. We got club level hotel last time and that was awesome as food lines in the hotel can get long- having a relaxed spot to grab breakfast and snacks was great.
    When we go to Traverse City, MI we will do some beach days and some exploration days. That has always worked out well for us too. And it is simply beautiful up there!

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

What about a place like Sanibel/Ft. Meyers/Anna Maria Island or St. Pete- you could do one day at Busch Gardens or drive to Disney if it's a must, but plan most of the time at the beach (we are not amusement park people so a week at the beach would suit my kids fine, never been to Disney, and no desire). It's sort of off season so it may be easier to find a place. I think staying in the country makes it easier on so many levels.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Have you vacationed in Maine as a family? You can easily do a day of hiking followed by a day hanging out by the water reading and relaxing. It is gorgeous up there and if you rent a house on the water you only have to step outside to enjoy the water. We stayed on an inlet last year. I swear if the owners had a for sale sign on the cabin we stayed in, I would have put an offer on it and filled DH in when I got home. Beautiful, peaceful, action not too far away to fill some days, tranquility on other days.