Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default North East Road Trip

We’ve decided to do a North East Coast road trip either end of June or end of July for 2 weeks. DS and I haven’t been to the East Coast and DH wants to check off a few states he hasn’t visited - he has to eat a meal in the state for it to count

We’re thinking starting in Philadelphia for a couple days, then drive to Delaware for a meal, New York City for a few days, drive through Connecticut stop for a meal and then to Newport Rhode Island for a night. Then a few days in Boston. We want to stay in a cabin in Maine for a night or two. Then drive back to Philadelphia with a night either in New Hampshire or Vermont and then drive through Syracuse as DS is interested in visiting a college there. We do want to stop at colleges as we go. DS is making a list. We may even add on Washington D.C. to start. Or add extra days at same places

DH tells me the states are smaller so travel distance isn’t far between locations. I’m used to travel distance in Australia or the West Coast, so it sounds like a lot of travel. I’ve really got no idea what’s possible and what we should see.

Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 03-24-2022 at 01:25 AM.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It sounds fun and like the college visits will help firm up the schedule.

For a meal in CT, I would try pizza in New Haven. Pepe’s or Sally’s. Or Rein’s Deli in Vernon.

It’s a beautiful drive across NH and VT. I would recommend the Kancamagus Highway across and a trip up Mt Washington, either by car or the cog railway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

You don't want a car in DC or NYC and you can easily get away without one in Philly too. Whichever one you start in, just take the train to the others. A car is a hindrance, not a help unless you want o do points in between. But Philly to NYC? Train, for sure. Get your rental car when you are done.
    I haven't done New England yet. It's always that trip that gets shoved aside in favor of other places but ds2 wants to go so I will be following along.
    Only other possibility I would add on is Montreal. It's a fantastic city and so close to some of your potential points.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Philly's got a lot of great eats!
    Their travel & tourism site, Visit Philly, is excellent for planning an itinerary.

DD and I are members at the Museum of the American Revolution, thanks to my mom, so we obviously recommend that museum! DD was fascinated by the brief tour of Independence Hall, but I'd like to do the full tour again (haven't done it in decades), but she's not as patient for the wait to see the Liberty Bell. I want to visit the National Constitution Center, but I haven't made it there yet.

We also recommend the Franklin Institute and the Academy of Natural Sciences, which are right near each other, but they may feel too juvenile for your high school-aged DS, especially if you've got access to bigger science museums where you live in CA, but I have an irrational fondness for the Giant Heart exhibit at the Franklin Institute ... DD prefers the neural pathways climber in the Your Brain exhibit.

If you're planning on any Philadelphia museums in late June/early July, do pay attention to the dates and timing for Wawa Welcome America Celebration, which opens various museums & attractions for free on certain days. It's how we visited the Franklin Institute and Academy of Natural Sciences when DD was a preschooler, but the museums do get crowded so you'll want to go as early as you possibly can.

For unique eats, you can't really go wrong at Reading Terminal Market. DD likes Hunger Burger; I like DiNic's (roast pork Italian with broccoli rabe & sharp provolone, thanks; go early.) For dessert, we're fond of Bassett's Ice Cream (get a small; it's more than enough) ... and for treats to take home, we like Beiler's Doughnuts and Flying Monkey Bakery (I recommend the whoopie pies, any flavor, but favorites include the Guinness and Peanut Butter Cup flavors ... and the Elvis cake - get 1 slice and plan to share it; it's too rich to eat solo.)

Amtrak between Philly and NYC is nice, but you can also take SEPTA to Trenton to pick up NJ Transit's Northeast Corridor Line to NYC for a day-trip; I don't know how much you'll save with that, though, since I don't usually take public transit to/around Philly, though I take NJ Transit myself frequently. (FTR, if you wanted to squeeze in a quick jaunt to Princeton, it's Northeast Corridor to Princeton Junction & then take the Dinky to Princeton Station, which lets you out on the back side of the Princeton U campus. We used to do this every now & again from New Brunswick/Rutgers for concerts at Richardson Auditorium.)

Personally, I'd make a list of things you want to do in Philly and another list for NYC so you can figure out what you can do with the length of time you'll be here!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I drive to Maine and back multiple times in a summer. It is not that bad. 6.5 hours to about Portland and 8 hours to my final destination. My thoughts: you don't need a car while actually in Philly if you are doing only Philly based things. It is an extremely walkable city. Highlights: Barnes Foundation; Reading Terminal Market; Spruce Street; USS New Jersey; Independence Seaport Museum; Rittenhouse Square; Mutter Museum. If you want to leave the city, Longwood Gardens is beautiful and could drive over to Delaware from there and eat. If you have any specific questions, restaurants, ideas of what you want to do, PM me.

Personally, I prefer driving to NYC than taking the train when I have multiple people. Train is expensive anyway. If you decide to drive, you can take the long way and stop by Washingtons Crossing and Princeton along the way. My favorite casual lunch spot in the world is in NJ. It is called the Millburn Deli. There are two locations. But there are also great places to eat in Princeton.

In NY, I prefer to stay on the UWS or down in the financial district. I love the Conrad Hilton downtown. Great location. Easy parking. All suites.

I agree with eating pizza in New Haven. It is a nice stopping point. I had lunch there when I drove home from Maine last summer.

As for Maine, it is my favorite place. Happy to answer any questions about Maine. Personal favorites, are Cape Elizabeth and Portland. I love Boothbay Harbor and staying in a house on Casco Bay. I like taking the ferry to Peaks Island. You can rent bikes there. In Portland, I also love the mail boat run. You can bring a picnic and drinks (alcoholic) and take a tour of the islands.

Inland, I love the lakes. There are great hikes. You can drive from Portland to North Conway, NH. It is an easy drive. There is some whitewater rafting in North Conway. Also good white water rafting on the Kennebec River in Maine. If you like hiking, I have some good recommendations. For an easy hike, on the drive from Portland to North Conway, you can do a slight detour to https://www.summitpost.org/north-bal...aldface/180510. This lists some of the other great hikes too. These are hard hikes. But Baldface has an easy hike to a place called Emerald Pools that is only a mile in. https://newenglandwaterfalls.com/nh-emeraldpool.html Emerald Pools is one of my favorite childhood hikes.

Feel free to reach out with any questions. You are hitting a lot of my favorite places.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post

Personally, I prefer driving to NYC than taking the train when I have multiple people. Train is expensive anyway.
    This is true - I take the train because I really hate driving/parking in Manhattan, but YMMV.

If you decide to drive, you can take the long way and stop by Washingtons Crossing and Princeton along the way. ... But there are also great places to eat in Princeton.
    Lots of great options in Princeton, ranging from Hoagie Haven (heads' up: they're still cash-only) and Jammin' Crepes (which I got to know when they were a food truck at the West Windsor Farmers' Market) on Nassau Street to pretty much anything in the Palmer Square area, including The Bent Spoon and Halo Pub.

BTW, if you want NJ eats reviews, I'm going to give a cheap plug for my friends' Alice and Ed's blog/social media site You Don't Know Jersey (on Instagram and FB @youdontknowjersey) - they've got favorite bands, restaurants, day-trips, hikes, and music venues.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Are you flying into one of northeast airports and renting a car?

Agree that Philly and NYC driving isn’t needed. But thb it is a hassle switching up at different points though, for longer drives like up to NH and Maine.

I’m an experienced driver though and like Philly mom I prefer driving when going as a family. Train isn’t cheap as pointed out. It all washes out, use SpotHero app for cheap parking spots in NYC. Book those as soon you have sleeping addresses cuz the further out you book, the cheaper parking rate you get like 55-80 for overnight parking. I would add in several days though, as your time frame is tight if you want to include DC and Maine. Your plans will become easier to look at once you firm up the college stops and lists of things you guys want to do in Philly and NYC.

Got lots of good eating and activities recs, as they’re all I recommend. Especially lizzywednesday with Philly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would fly into DC- no car needed there. Then take train to Philly- no car there either. You can stop on train in Wilmington,DE if DE is a must. Then train to NYC - definitely no car there. Then take Metro North from NYC to Connecticut (Danbury) and get rental car there to continue on to Boston, etc.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    I would fly into DC- no car needed there. Then take train to Philly- no car there either. You can stop on train in Wilmington,DE if DE is a must. Then train to NYC - definitely no car there. Then take Metro North from NYC to Connecticut (Danbury) and get rental car there to continue on to Boston, etc.
    I agree with this if you’re reluctant to drive in the cities. But I would take Metro North to New Haven instead of Danbury for the pizza, Yale (if that appeals), and if you’re headed to Newport, RI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

It's not just reluctance to drive in the cities. It's just that it costs a lot of money to 1. rent a car 2. park a car. So, if you don't need a car to get around the cities and you are simply paying for the privilege of having the car but not using it, it's not my first choice. Live in the area and already have a car? Driving might be logical. But, the way rental car prices are now, I wouldn't want one when I didn't need one. Trains aren't free but prices are lower the farther out you buy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast