Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default North East Road Trip

That seems like a ton of space to cover. It would be overwhelming to me to try and fit everything in one trip.

I would look at your DS’s list and make a starting point and ending point. Also look at which flights will get you to and from LA the easiest. Last summer we flew from LAX to Philadelphia direct and on the way back since we were flying out of Pittsburgh we knew we weren’t going to be able to fly direct so I found the best flight for our schedule (it ended up getting changed twice and then delayed an hour leaving Pittsburgh due to plane issue, but we were lucky and still had almost two hours before our connecting flight left St. Louis….this was days after the first SW cancellation fiasco so I was just happy to have the flights).

Dh has driven from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania area to the northern most point in Vermont (90 minutes from Montreal) in a day and did it in a moving truck and I think he said they did it in about 8 hours. For some odd reason on that trip his uncle had him book his return trip out of Baltimore which was another 8 hour drive; but Manchester would’ve only been a three hour drive but I think it had to do with Baltimore being closer to the uncle’s home In Pennsylvania.

I have driven from Boston to Albany in about 2/1/2 hours. Syracuse is another an hour plus maybe two hours from there. I think if you can find a decent flight home if you aren’t flying out of a major city then Syracuse might be the best place to end your trip.

Sadly I have no food recs. . It has been years since I was in Boston (the pizza place we ate at near our VRBO was Same Old Place and it is still there) and last summer in Philadelphia we at sandwiches from a mom and pop corner store with a deli because we were short on time trying to get back to Independence Hall for our tour (someone gave us tickets while standing in line for The Liberty Bell). The rest of our meals in the Philadelphia area were cooked by aunt and then one day we ate a Boardwalk pizza/cheesesteak place in Atlantic City. If you happen to decide to go to Gettysburg I swear the best pizza I have ever had was Antica Napoli Pizza. It was just perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 03-24-2022 at 02:19 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post

For a meal in CT, I would try pizza in New Haven. Pepe’s or Sally’s.
    Yes! Modern is great too. I grew up in New Haven and miss the pizza SO much.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    ... use SpotHero app for cheap parking spots in NYC. ...
    SpotHero also has good deals in Philly.

I also have ParkMobile for street parking down the shore.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Thanks for all the suggestions and the advice. We’re planning the trip the weeknd

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would maybe look to spend a little more time in Maine/Boston/NYC and I'll put in a plug for UVM for a college visit in Burlington, VT. Maybe nix one stop further down the east coast.

OP, heads' up that Philadelphia reinstated its mask requirement indoors effective today (18th April 2022) and I don't know how long it'll be in effect.

I don't know if this changes the kinds of plans your family is making for your summer trip, but it's a good thing to keep in mind. Also, if you had any Broadway shows in mind, all theatrical productions in NYC have extended the mask mandate inside the theatre through at least June, with further extensions expected based on feedback from the performers' and stage-crew unions.

Frankly, due to the age and size of most theatres, I think that the overall air circulation through the spaces isn't nearly enough to do away with masks at this time. There are only a handful that have had recent-ish renovations that may have improved their air circulation, but those reno's were planned pre-pandemic so probably don't include the filtration/movement required for enough of a reduced risk to audience & performers while both remain unmasked.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Just spent the holiday weekend in NYC. Drove from Rochester. Even the train from downstate NY into Manhattan for our family of 4 would've cost more than parking AND then you are on the train schedule and not your own. We stayed at AC by Marriott Time Square. It's almost literally right when you emerge from the Lincoln Tunnel. Parking was $45 per night (train would've been about $250 round trip). We dropped off luggage and DH parked the car one block north of the hotel. Arrived Friday late afternoon, spent all day Saturday walking the city (with two subway trips too) and departed after brunch on Sunday.

We saw two broadway shows and as Liz indicated, masks are required (and they enforce it throughout the show) as is proof of vaccination or a negative test. The theaters are full capacity.

Syracuse is 4hrs from Manhattan (not accounting for traffic into Manhattan or any summer construction in NY...which will be plenty!).
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post

We saw two broadway shows and as Liz indicated, masks are required (and they enforce it throughout the show) as is proof of vaccination or a negative test. The theaters are full capacity....
    I think that with full houses, it's wise to continue to mask up. There have been several shows where performances, both on Broadway and Off-, were canceled/suspended because too many members of the cast (and, in some cases, crew) tested positive, so I doubt the mask mandate will be dropped any time soon.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2